Best lighting

Linda and Mark

Location (City and/or State)
UK
i am looking for advice for the best heat and uv lighting to use, have been using one that does both which I have been happy with so was also wondering the best place to buy them, thank you in advance!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think it depends on what type of set up and tort. I have a powersuns in for my sulcata and Russian but have tube fluorescent Acadia for my boxie with a Che for heat. I like http://www.lightyourreptiles.com. that guy gave me great advice on a good set up for my enclosure. Perhaps you can find sim in the uk. I get the powersuns on amazon.

Linda and Mark

UK
I think it depends on what type of set up and tort. I have a powersuns in for my sulcata and Russian but have tube fluorescent Acadia for my boxie with a Che for heat. I like http://www.lightyourreptiles.com. that guy gave me great advice on a good set up for my enclosure. Perhaps you can find sim in the uk. I get the powersuns on amazon.
Thank you so much for replying and for the advice. I will look into it now :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think for uvb the arcadias are winning out by a landslide. They produce more uvb and the uvb seems to last longer then the mercury vapor bulbs. The bulb itself seems to also last longer and is not so sensitive.
Species doesn't really matter with giving the best uvb. That's where the placement and setup of the enclosure plays a role. Forest species still need the best uvb, they just need more forest coverage then a desert species.

Linda and Mark

UK
We have just been and bought Arcadia so are very pleased with the advice on here,

Salspi

Chicago
I agree with the Arcadia for UVB and I’m leaning towards getting radiant heat panels for heat. Looking forward to this thread

Tort dude

United States
I generally use zoo med products because it is better but the lights on exo terra are cheaper and long lasting

Salspi

Chicago
I think the radiant heat panels are the way to go to avoid the desiccating effect of basking lamps. I want to ensure that there will be no pyramiding. The Arcadia 12% uvb HO LED is all the uvb you will need.

Salspi

Chicago
I think the radiant heat panels are the way to go to avoid the desiccating effect of basking lamps. I want to ensure that there will be no pyramiding. The Arcadia 12% uvb HO LED is all the uvb you will need.

I was told by a person much more knowledge than me that it is very impt to use a light for heating to simulate sunlight. I’m not going with RHP.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was told by a person much more knowledge than me that it is very impt to use a light for heating to simulate sunlight. I’m not going with RHP.
This is true, but CHEs and RHPs are good for maintaining ambient heat, like in a sulcata or star tortoise enclosure, and these would be used in addition to a basking lamp, not instead of.