Best Lizard for young child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
So I posted a few times about us planning on getting a bearded dragon for my son, who is currently 18 months old. Obviously, any interaction will be supervised and of course, I will be doing 100% of the care & husbandry. We have a couple herper friends who introduced their kids to critters pretty young, and it worked out well. Likewise, I want to introduce my boys to animals pretty early on as well.

Here's the thing....I really do not like bearded dragons, and I am not really keen to taking care of roaches. I understand beardies are very friendly and tolerate a lot of regular-handling, but I have always found them to be a little more "stinky" than any other lizard species I've cared for, and while if push came to shove, I know I could hack dealing with Dubia, I'm not looking forward to caring for bugs of any sort. Maybe its because of all the recent spider problems we've been having, but my "ick" sensor has been on high-alert lately, and the less bugs I gotta to deal with, the lower my heart rate is.

The wife is more inclined to a beardie though, because of the aforementioned friendliness. She says that's the only lizard she would mess with on her own while I'm not around. I am now pushing for a blue-tongue skink. We've had them before: easy, durable, SLOW-moving, no need for live prey. In fact, the last one we had was technically hers, and she kinda just got bored with it. I don't know why she is not groovin' on it again.

I dunno...lots of factors here: as the primary care-taker, I think I should get some say-so on what animal we get for the kid, but at the same time, I want to get something my wife will not be reluctant to handle as well. Anyone want to weigh in on this? Beardie or BTS? Maybe another suggestion?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I still vote Beardie. However, the Uromastyx does not eat bugs at all. They are not quite as calm as the Beardie, but does not mind being handled. In fact mine will claw at the cage for me to get him out. They don't like to climb as much as the Beardie, so they need longer cages, more then tall.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yeah, I've had Uromastyx before. Definitely more skittish. I think both my wife and I are over them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you don't want to mess with bugs, but you still want personable and friendly, your options are pretty limited. Seems like a BTS is the way to go. You might also look into Schneider skinks or Pink tongue skinks. Similar care and feeding requirements to a BTS, but something a little different.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My vote is the BTS for nice handleable pet. With a pink tongue you are getting back to the live food (snails) and I believe Schneiders also need live.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
BTS, BTS, BTS! What better lizard is there that doesn't need live feeders, really?

Schneider's Skinks are awesome, too, but I've had a hell of a time getting mine to take anything other than live feeders and the occasional nibble of chicken baby food... Not sure they can be classified as "no live feeders needed." Great little lizards, though, if you decide bugs aren't a deal-breaker after all.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yeeaahh....I've always thought Schneider's skink were mostly insectivorous.
----------

I have spoken with a few others that have had good success supplementing commercial diet for their beardies. Not my first choice, and I know it is hit-and-miss, but I am confident if I start with a younger animal, I can make sure it gets what it needs through freeze-dried insects and commercial food along with the veggies. I'm still on the fence though, but at least I know that live insects isn't necessarily mandatory if we go with a bearded dragon.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yep, that'd go along with what I've read and experienced. My Schneider's will happily wolf down any bug and microwaved squash, but that's about the closest to omnivorous she'll get without tricking her.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I think I'm going to put my foot down and use my influence as the primary pet care-taker of our household (LOL) to push for the blue-tongue skink. I have had experience with both types of lizards, and I really do feel this will be a better fit. I'm more than confident about their temperament, and their durable, rigid body structure can withstand any occasional "squeezing" from a small child...much better than a beardie. They typically defecate once a day, so establishing a "routine" for potty-training will be a little easier than that of the beardie, which goes multiple times a day!

Now to just be on the look-out for a nice CBB Northern. I already asked to be on Jeff's waiting list!

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
Just a thought, there are some very good foods for bearded dragons available on the market right now. I went to a talk given by the owner of Down Under Dragonz, and he uses 'Beardie Bites' for his breeders. He says they are wonderful. That way you wouldn't have to deal with the bugs, and the wife would be happy. Remember, 'when mom is unhappy, the whole house is unhappy.' ;)

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
A little late to the party, but have you considered crested geckos? I have two kids, an almost 3 year old son and an almost 5 year old daughter. My son's nervous energy drives most of my reptiles absolutely wild... but not the crested geckos. He can even handle my hatchling crested geckos... so far he has handled, with a decent amount of frequency, about a dozen different baby geckos and he has never caused a tail to drop. My daughter can handle all of my reptiles. She knows how to mist the gecko cages, mix and replace the gecko food, and even helps clean the babies' enclosures (paper towel replacement, etc).

I also have 2 of Jeff's Northerns and they are great lizards... but my son makes them nervous. My daughter does well with them, but she is a very 'mature' little kid when it comes to animals.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Well, putting the foot down didn't go over so well. Wife adamantly maintains that she wants a beardie because we've (as a couple) have never had one before, and it is the only lizard she is willing to handle on her own. So...we're going to get an adult female. Females don't live as long as males, so I won't have to care for the thing as long. Plus, most of the young insectivorous stage will be done. Perhaps after it dies in a few years, she'll have had satisfactory beardie experience, and we can have things my way and go the BTS route.

I am aware of those beardie bites, but if they're anything like the Tortoise Bites that are orange (same company, I think), I don't think they are that nutritionally good. I was told to avoid those gelatinous orange cubes for my tortoise...nothing but preservative-filled junk.

I have had crested geckos before as well, and while docile, they were always prone to "jumping" off into space unexpectantly. I didn't want something that tiny and active. Maybe later on though...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
StudentoftheReptile said:
Well, putting the foot down didn't go over so well. Wife adamantly maintains that she wants a beardie because we've (as a couple) have never had one before, and it is the only lizard she is willing to handle on her own. So...we're going to get an adult female. Females don't live as long as males, so I won't have to care for the thing as long. Plus, most of the young insectivorous stage will be done. Perhaps after it dies in a few years, she'll have had satisfactory beardie experience, and we can have things my way and go the BTS route.

I am aware of those beardie bites, but if they're anything like the Tortoise Bites that are orange (same company, I think), I don't think they are that nutritionally good. I was told to avoid those gelatinous orange cubes for my tortoise...nothing but preservative-filled junk.

I have had crested geckos before as well, and while docile, they were always prone to "jumping" off into space unexpectantly. I didn't want something that tiny and active. Maybe later on though...

Hahaha, things your way, silly you. It will always be our way, even when you think it's your way:p:D

BTW, she made a great choice, of course:D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
This whole back-and-forth between the two has really made me realize just how much I actually dislike bearded dragons. They are truly one of my least favorite reptiles to keep. At one point, I swore to myself I would never own one again.

In the beginning, it was her suggestion to get a pet lizard and she mentioned a bearded dragon, and I was initially on board, mainly because I was just excited that she wanted to get another lizard. Then I gradually remembered everything I hate about them, and was thinking "SKinks are totally easier than a beardie. Why are we not getting a BTS?"....and I have tried my darndest to convince how much better a BTS would be, but she won't have it.

So I suppose I will just have to show her firsthand how stinky they are, and how really BTS are just as docile. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why do you think they stink? Mine didn't stink. You know, you have to clean the cage:p Just kidding about the cleaning. :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
wellington said:
Why do you think they stink? Mine didn't stink. You know, you have to clean the cage:p Just kidding about the cleaning. :D

I started this same topic on two other forums, and also one in a Facebook group. Nearly everyone who posted acknowledged that they stink. And all the ones I have kept personally, as well in pet shops have stunk, regardless of substrate or diet. So it is not just me.

A couple people said to fight off the odor, they bath their beardies 2x a week, and it got them potty-trained to the water bowl. I laughed, and sarcastically mused to myself "that's EXACTLY what i want! More work every week and ultimately train the lizard to contaminate its water source all the time. Yes sir...just what I want; more work!" LOL....no other lizard species I have ever owned I would ever have to do that with.

And it's funny...I know a lot of BTS keepers that have potty-trained their skinks to just go outside on the grass, and the lizard rarely defecates in the cage. Of course, this is a lizard that typically goes once a day. How many times does a bearded poop daily? Multiple times.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I never bathed mine, but I did mist him about once a day. My Uro stinks. Not his cage, but him. I just don't remember my Beardie stinking. I love the beardies, wish I would have gotten another one. Maybe, I just liked him so much, I didn't pay attention to whether he stunk or not.
If you dislike them that much though, I think you should try to figure out a species you both can agree on. Your going to hate it every time you have to do anything for it, and that's not fair to you or the animal. Maybe you can visit some place that has a big variety for your wife to actually see in person and maybe even handle. Maybe she will take a liking to something else. Good luck

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
wellington said:
If you dislike them that much though, I think you should try to figure out a species you both can agree on. Your going to hate it every time you have to do anything for it, and that's not fair to you or the animal. Maybe you can visit some place that has a big variety for your wife to actually see in person and maybe even handle. Maybe she will take a liking to something else. Good luck

Oh, it will be one of the best-cared-for bearded dragon in Alabama, no doubt about that. So that will not be an issue at all. Yeah, I will probably hate every second of it, but I am stubborn. Granted, I may learn to like the experience of handling it with my kid, but I cannot WAIT for the day she complains about the smell and I get to say "I told you so."

We used to have a BTS...and Uromastyx...and crested geckos...and iguanas, since we've known each other. She knows what they're all like. She doesn't want a BTS because it pooped on her ONCE, and it moved to fast...like bearded dragons don't move any faster (LOL...another feature I can't wait for her to experience).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Too funny. You'll have to remember to let's us know when that day happens. Although, I'm sure you will. BTW, are you German? You sound as stubborn as me:p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.