Best money spent so far

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I'm still new to the world of tortoise keeping, but already I see patterns in the questions, worries, and problems that new owners have.

Temp and humidity.

If you know what they are, you can control them, to the benefit of the tortoises living with you ... if you don't, you can't.

IMG_6852.jpg

This device, or any like it, has probes that will measure temp and humidity in your enclosure.

IMG_6853.jpg

This device, or any like it, can shut off a heat source at the temp you select as being "too warm", to avoid overheating in your enclosure.

You can certainly get trickier, and spendier, with these sort of devices, but as a baseline, being able to know and control the environment in your tortoise's enclosure is great.

Having these in Darwin's tank insures that I know how his temp/humidity levels are, and that he won't get cooked by his heat sources.

Again, I'm by no means an expert, but these make me feel better about my caring for Darwin in an environment so different from his home (I live in NH, and we had snow the other day).

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer digital thermometer/hygrometers from the hardware store to the ones marketed for reptiles. I fond they work better and have fewer problems.

What wattage is that thermostat rated to? That is almost half the price of the cheap ones that I use, and I would worry about reliability. It might be great and you've found a great bargain, but its an unknown at this point. I'd be keeping a close eye on that one.

I definitely get peace of mind with thermometers and thermostats installed on my enclosures. Good post.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
An "Infrared Temperature Gun" was one of my best purchases to date.

View attachment 255516

I'd highly recommend one to any tortoise keeper. It cuts down time and allows for multiple readings within the enclosure.

And, you won’t have to buy thermometers for every reptile/enclosure. Those things are a miracle!

drew54

Indiana
This is the best hygrometer and thermometer I have owned. It's waterproof and ment for showers.IMG_0861.jpg

drew54

Indiana
So does that one live in the enclosure?

Thanks,

Jamie

I have it directly in the enclosure and the only issues I have with it is when I spray or water droplets fall and hit the timer button it starts the timer. Nyx will knock it over and everything and it has not been affected by the extreme humidity. It has a suction cup and a wall mount. I just set it in there as I don't want it to fall on her or something. It's very accurate also. Nyx will sometimes just watch the time . Sometimes she ever hits the timer button and sets it off. Not sure if she enjoys the beeping sound or just likes it when I have to turn it off and set it back up.