Best+ most economical lighting set up

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
What is the most affordable and effective lighting arrangement? I don't want to sacrifice quality for cost, either though.

I was thinking mvb would be the simplest and most straight forward, but I'm reading that the output can crap out after 3 months, and it's close to 100$ a bulb here. I don't want to spend 400$ a year on bulbs.

That leaves me at a basking spot light I suppose, and a tube for UV needs? How often do the tubes need to be replaced (usually?). What brand and type of each basking and tube would you reccomend. I'm Canadian if it matters.

I also want to double check- I don't think I need any additional heat sources or CHE for nighttime, since we keep our house at about 75? It might rarely but almost never on the absolute coldest days of winter, dip to 65.

Thanks in advance for the help!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
75 is enough at night.
What type of tortoise?
For example, Here IN South Florida I only use a strip florescent that I swap out every 6 months (the tube. Not the fixture)
I don't need or use any other heat. With a closed chamber and the florescent fixture mounted INSIDE the lid, the little bit of heat generated by the transformer keeps the whole thing at a toasty 84.
The tubes are $9-$15 from a pet store and the fixtures I get from Walmart for $8.
Cheap by anyone's means.

Attachments

• 20170220_213415.jpg
    20170220_213415.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Planning on getting a Greek. Hopefully ibera.

Thanks for the advice!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Hi! Hopefully by bumping this back up I can get an additional question answered without cluttering the place up with another post.

If using seperate basking bulb and tube uvb, what percentage of the enclosuse should have uvb coverage? How do you ensure if the whole enclosure isn't covered and they aren't basking under the uvb that they get adequate exposure? Strategic feed and water dish placement? Does the exposure have to be direct(ie. Straight overhead) or is indirect going to give adequate exposure?

Sorry I'm so annoying I just want to make sure I know everything I need to!