Best nail cutters

Lulabee247

Location (City and/or State)
Durham
Hello can anyone suggest the best nail cutters for a large marginated tortoise nails ?
I bought the Komodo ones off Amazon and they a dollar small and in my opinion not sharp enough for my Torts toe nails. Very disappointed with this purchase and don’t want to buy more useless cutters. Thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoise nails almost never need cutting. Is your tortoise a male or female? Front or back nails? Overgrown nails and beaks are indicative of husbandry problems. Diet, supplements, enclosure size, temps, UV, etc... Something is off.

Tortoise nails are exceptionally hard compared to dog or cat nails. Normal nail cutters don't work, as you have seen. You will need a dremmel with a sanding wheel if there is some reason to trim them back.

Lulabee247

Durham
Tortoise nails almost never need cutting. Is your tortoise a male or female? Front or back nails? Overgrown nails and beaks are indicative of husbandry problems. Diet, supplements, enclosure size, temps, UV, etc... Something is off.

Tortoise nails are exceptionally hard compared to dog or cat nails. Normal nail cutters don't work, as you have seen. You will need a dremmel with a sanding wheel if there is some reason to trim them back.
Yes I do know her enclosure isn’t what she needs right now and hasn’t been for a while since life problems but I’m in the process of buying a new home for us both where she can have a proper outdoor part where I know her nails will grind down naturally. But in the process of being indoors for a long time her nails have grown too long and I fear she not walking in her feet as she should be that’s all so wanted to trim them back as I can see where the vein is so there’s deffo 1cm on each. I do have a dremmel but I darnt use that on her. Maybe if I ask the vets to do it for me ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I do know her enclosure isn’t what she needs right now and hasn’t been for a while since life problems but I’m in the process of buying a new home for us both where she can have a proper outdoor part where I know her nails will grind down naturally. But in the process of being indoors for a long time her nails have grown too long and I fear she not walking in her feet as she should be that’s all so wanted to trim them back as I can see where the vein is so there’s deffo 1cm on each. I do have a dremmel but I darnt use that on her. Maybe if I ask the vets to do it for me ?
If this is an adult female, and we are talking about the back nails, then it is normal for them to be longer. This is for nest digging, and they do not need to be cut.

Lulabee247

Durham
If this is an adult female, and we are talking about the back nails, then it is normal for them to be longer. This is for nest digging, and they do not need to be cut.
Oh wow really ? I guess I best just hurry up and get her an outdoor bit then. Thankyou I won’t bother cutting then cheers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh wow really ? I guess I best just hurry up and get her an outdoor bit then. Thankyou I won’t bother cutting then cheers
Show us pics of the nails in question and we can offer better insight.

Lulabee247

Durham
Show us pics of the nails in question and we can offer better insight.
2B1C3449-B5D7-418E-9B1E-D0F2E221A9F0.jpeg

I just worry about the one underneath, most torts Iv seen on vids walk flat on their feet but mine doesn’t and that thumb-like-nail is curling under the foot

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 353562

I just worry about the one underneath, most torts Iv seen on vids walk flat on their feet but mine doesn’t and that thumb-like-nail is curling under the foot
The nails that are visible in you picture look normal for a female. I can't see the one curling under that you mentioned, and I can't see the front nails for comparison.

Is the beak over grown?

Lulabee247

Durham
The nails that are visible in you picture look normal for a female. I can't see the one curling under that you mentioned, and I can't see the front nails for comparison.

Is the beak over grown?
The front nails are ok as she has filed them down herself by digging but no her beak is not over grown. Just the feet, or mostly the inside nail on both feet. So she can’t walk flat footed.

Is the beak over grown?

Is the beak over grown?