Best pellet for winter supplementation

Shutterbug

Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Hey!
These are the pellets I am able to purchase within a 6 hour drive that I have found. I can't find anyone who supplies Muzuri pellets in the area.

I dont really like the idea of feeding the bright rainbow pellets, but are any of the others worth buying? Just looking for additional add ins to ensure a good variety and all needs are met for my Sulcata over the winter.
We are in Canada, so besides the hay and grasses I've cut along with grocery greens, variety is limited!

2 years old. 2.04lbs. No pyramiding.
Soaked daily.

Attachments

• 64168__56657.1609699518.jpg
    64168__56657.1609699518.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 171131457_max.jpg
    171131457_max.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 519Z87kzSdL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    519Z87kzSdL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 41vF1AhY+BS._AC_SY580_.jpg
    41vF1AhY+BS._AC_SY580_.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 51IhDP1F+YL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    51IhDP1F+YL._AC_SY580_.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 5

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I would think either of the zoomed grassland foods... I also got pellets from a feed store that are just timothy hay and orchard grass, with nothing else (for horses, but I assume they'll work for torts) for my Russians... that might be worth a try.

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What kind of tortoise do you have? Doesn't Amazon deliver there?

Like Jamie said, there are some good grass hay pellets available at feed stores.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hey!
These are the pellets I am able to purchase within a 6 hour drive that I have found. I can't find anyone who supplies Muzuri pellets in the area.

I dont really like the idea of feeding the bright rainbow pellets, but are any of the others worth buying? Just looking for additional add ins to ensure a good variety and all needs are met for my Sulcata over the winter.
We are in Canada, so besides the hay and grasses I've cut along with grocery greens, variety is limited!

2 years old. 2.04lbs. No pyramiding.
Soaked daily.
Hello fellow Canadian!

You can order Mazuri in Canada from here: https://allreptiles.ca/mazuri-tortoise-25lb.html

Every now and then they are out of stock, but I just tried adding it to my cart now, and it let me. I know 25 pounds is a lot, but that’s the only size I’m aware of in Canada that you can find. You can vacuum seal packages of it and freeze it to make it last longer. Also, a lot of people in Canada will buy a big bag and sell what they don’t need by the pound. Last winter I reached out to a guy in Ontario who was selling Mazuri by the pound on Kijiji. He was kind enough to be willing to ship me a few pounds of it. You could try searching Kijiji or similar website and see if anyone is selling it around you. My supply will be running out mid winter and I’ll have to buy one of those 25 pound bags for my little Hermann’s tortoise.

As for the pellets you have pictured I’ve tried most of them for my tortoise. The Fluker’s buffet blend is Dozer’s favourite…well, until Mazuri came along lol. I pick out the little bits of fruit/veggies in it and just give him the pellets, soaked in water. I tried forever to get him to eat the grassland pellets and he just wouldn’t. Over a long period of time I started adding a little bit of the grassland pellet into his mazuri because the fibre content is just so good on the grassland pellets. Now I am up to 1 1/2 grassland pellets mixed with 6 mazuri pellets, but he only gets this twice per week. I also mix in other dried things, such as dandelion greens, raspberry leaves, calendula petals, nettle, etc. I usually add a pinch of 2 different things to add into his mazuri concoction. The Fluker’s tortoise diet, I would not even bother trying…those are the fruity pebble looking things. The protein/fibre ratio is bad and the food has a disgusting amount of food colouring in it…your tortoises poop will look just like the pellets. That’s the only time Dozer has eaten his poop…ewww. He ate the green pellets and some days later when he pooped, I think he thought I gave him more pellets because his poop was the same Christmas green color and he ate it! ? The Crafted cuisine is alright, but has to be refrigerated and would cost an insane amount to feed to a young growing sulcata. They’re pretty small little pellets that look like little turds and they smell rancid. I tried all of these different pellets before I got the Mazuri, that’s why I’ve tried so many on Dozer. Most ended up in the garbage. The crafted cuisine could be nice to sprinkle some every now and then on your tortoises greens, but if you’re able to get that Mazuri, I wouldn’t bother with the crafted cuisine. The protein content of the Mazuri 5M21 is pretty high too, so I recommend adding in some of the grassland pellets to up the fibre content. It is interesting how Dozer will accept the grassland pellets mixed in with the Mazuri, but the other day I tried just giving him the grassland pellet to see what he’d do and he still wouldn’t even think about try it! Stubborn little bugger.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
Hello fellow Canadian!

You can order Mazuri in Canada from here: https://allreptiles.ca/mazuri-tortoise-25lb.html

Every now and then they are out of stock, but I just tried adding it to my cart now, and it let me. I know 25 pounds is a lot, but that’s the only size I’m aware of in Canada that you can find. You can vacuum seal packages of it and freeze it to make it last longer. Also, a lot of people in Canada will buy a big bag and sell what they don’t need by the pound. Last winter I reached out to a guy in Ontario who was selling Mazuri by the pound on Kijiji. He was kind enough to be willing to ship me a few pounds of it. You could try searching Kijiji or similar website and see if anyone is selling it around you. My supply will be running out mid winter and I’ll have to buy one of those 25 pound bags for my little Hermann’s tortoise.

As for the pellets you have pictured I’ve tried most of them for my tortoise. The Fluker’s buffet blend is Dozer’s favourite…well, until Mazuri came along lol. I pick out the little bits of fruit/veggies in it and just give him the pellets, soaked in water. I tried forever to get him to eat the grassland pellets and he just wouldn’t. Over a long period of time I started adding a little bit of the grassland pellet into his mazuri because the fibre content is just so good on the grassland pellets. Now I am up to 1 1/2 grassland pellets mixed with 6 mazuri pellets, but he only gets this twice per week. I also mix in other dried things, such as dandelion greens, raspberry leaves, calendula petals, nettle, etc. I usually add a pinch of 2 different things to add into his mazuri concoction. The Fluker’s tortoise diet, I would not even bother trying…those are the fruity pebble looking things. The protein/fibre ratio is bad and the food has a disgusting amount of food colouring in it…your tortoises poop will look just like the pellets. That’s the only time Dozer has eaten his poop…ewww. He ate the green pellets and some days later when he pooped, I think he thought I gave him more pellets because his poop was the same Christmas green color and he ate it! ? The Crafted cuisine is alright, but has to be refrigerated and would cost an insane amount to feed to a young growing sulcata. They’re pretty small little pellets that look like little turds and they smell rancid. I tried all of these different pellets before I got the Mazuri, that’s why I’ve tried so many on Dozer. Most ended up in the garbage. The crafted cuisine could be nice to sprinkle some every now and then on your tortoises greens, but if you’re able to get that Mazuri, I wouldn’t bother with the crafted cuisine. The protein content of the Mazuri 5M21 is pretty high too, so I recommend adding in some of the grassland pellets to up the fibre content. It is interesting how Dozer will accept the grassland pellets mixed in with the Mazuri, but the other day I tried just giving him the grassland pellet to see what he’d do and he still wouldn’t even think about try it! Stubborn little bugger.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
Thank you so much! I'll be ordering a bag, id rather have a bunch extra, then feed something questionable! I also know of 2 or 3 others who have tortoises around me who might be interested in splitting a bag, so might work out well!

One has a Herman's, and the other is the breeder of my Sulcata