best place to buy seeds from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
im looking for the best place to buy my seeds from, and im pretty sure to buy from carolina pet supplys grazing tortoise seed mix from them. i also found another site turtlestuff.com has a mixture of seeds that seem to be good to. what do you guys reccomend or prefer?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy from all of them. Seems to me that CPS shipping charges are a bit high, but the seeds are super fresh and sprout almost instantly.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Yvonne that shipping charges are kinda high at CPS, but the seeds are fresh and if there's any problem CPS will take care of it right away. I get the grazing tort seed mix and I do a bit of shopping and add other seeds, they have 2 different clovers that are really good, one is white and the other red. So I would use CPS and get the seeds I mentioned and maybe more if you want...but DON'T get the dandelion seeds cuz nobody I have ever talked to has gotten them to sprout...and I had a lot of trouble getting the seeds from turtlestuff to grow and they didn't want to refund my money

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Although I really like the TNT from CPS, the dandelion seeds did not sprout more than an inch, the russian tortoise mix has a ton of grass which my tort won't eat (although he loves the other parts; it's just a pain to "weed" out the grass), and the shipping was high. I probably won't order again since I have enough TNT to last a very long time. Anyone know the shelf life on TNT?

Lots of seeds are available in stores, and a lot of other online sites sell the same stuff if you know what you're looking for.

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoisenerd said:
Although I really like the TNT from CPS, the dandelion seeds did not sprout more than an inch, the russian tortoise mix has a ton of grass which my tort won't eat (although he loves the other parts; it's just a pain to "weed" out the grass), and the shipping was high. I probably won't order again since I have enough TNT to last a very long time. Anyone know the shelf life on TNT?

Lots of seeds are available in stores, and a lot of other online sites sell the same stuff if you know what you're looking for.

that's exactly why I said don't get the dandelion seeds and Yvonne said something about the Russian seed mix and grass, but the grazing tort seed mix is excellent...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wrote a thread last year about the Russian tort seed from CPS and posted some pictures of what it looked like. When I wrote to Joe at CPS about too much grass seed in the mix, he and his wife, Karen, wrote back that I had over-planted. I don't think this is the case. Its simple...if you have too much grass sprouting in a pen where you want only broad-leafed weeds and plants, then there was too much grass seed in the mix. I pulled out all the grass and bought the seeds separately instead of the mix. Of course, some of the grass had already re-seeded, so I'm still pulling grass, however my Russian pen is now just how I want it...covered with clover, dichondra, mustard, vetch, thistle, and many, many more plants that I don't know the names of. When you shop for the seeds, write down what kinds of seeds are contained in the Mediterranean seed mixture and the Russian mixture, then try to buy those seeds separately instead of the mix.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
derf said:
If anyone is from the UK - www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk is a good place

Thanks for that, Fred...I get comfortable with the Forum and forget that we have lots of members who don't live in this country! And quite a few from the UK.

Thanks,

Yvonne

shesdisarming

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
When you shop for the seeds, write down what kinds of seeds are contained in the Mediterranean seed mixture and the Russian mixture, then try to buy those seeds separately instead of the mix.

Yvonne

I looked on the site and couldn't find any Mediterranean mix, but I did find the Russian mix. Could you point me in the right direction? And also, how much would the shipping cost, ballpark?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I buy my seeds from ebay a company called Torts-N-Allsorts seeds are a great price and delivery is quick and cheap, but not sure if it would be the same for you guys in the US..

Status
Not open for further replies.