Best place to get a 3 or 4 yr old female Russian??

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
We are wanting to have a 1:2 ratio and currently have a pair. Our female we have now is 3 yrs old, loving and social. She came from a family owned feed shop and was handled frequently. Our male is 3 yrs old and was from an exotic reptile shop with far less attention. It is so very apparent who came from where when you observe their behavior and handle them.

We need help locating a female to add to our pair. It has not been fun looking because we are comparing each to Persephone, our adorable female! Not fair, I know! Part of being human I guess! Any ideas???

We are in a suburb of Phoenix, AZ if that helps...

Thanks so much!
Katie

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
You might find one from:

another member on TFO
Craigslist
Petsmart/Petco

Personally, I'm not against either of those 3 options. I'd recommend you have a "hands on look" at the new girl before buying and keep her separate from your current Russians for awhile before introducing them. The separation will give you a chance to check for worms or other illness. Plus, it gives the newbie time to settle in before having to deal with other torts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with the I advice Heather gave. I would make a pet store, like Petco my last place to look though. You can also check out the faunaclassifieds.com web site.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
We have been watching craigslist, it seems that most posts are people wanting/needing to rehome their Sulcatas for various reasons. Random posts for a couple other species. One male Russian that has been reposted multiple times which doesn't seem positive.

Petsmart's torts have been looking pretty rough lately. The stores around here anyway. We even checked the one in Flagstaff this morning to see if there would be a difference and it was consistent with the stores we checked in the valley...

I am not familiar with the other site suggested @wellington. I will hop on and see what I can find. Thank you.

Once we find one we will be sure to quarantine her before the introduction. I have heard different recommendations for the length of time from the pet stores is there a standard??

As far as a forum member, I would rather do that, however I haven't seen or heard of anyone having any to sell. Have I missed a thread??

@teamgomberg I went ahead and ordered the coco coir substrate in bulk online! It seemed to put my mind at ease! I would have worried about those ingredients!!!

Katie ;)