Best plants for bio active viv

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
At night, when there is no light available, the green plants don't photosynthesize. And no, they do not consume oxygen, they GIVE oxygen, they only consume CO2, light, water and nutrients nitrogen based i.e. Tort pee/poo missed in my spot cleaning is food for green plants, so it's win-win situation. I haven't figured out how to include links from my mobile devices, but there's tons of easy to "digest" info on plant life on the net. Just google PHOTOSYTHESIS and you'll find all kinds of easy diagrams as well as detailed scientific stuff on it.
I totally understand your concern about the air quality with closed chambers. That was my worry too. That's what drove my decision to aim for heavily planted chamber with all live plants and substrate containing tiny "clean-up crew"
I already googled it when you placed a seed of doubt in my mind, believing me to think my old science school teacher was actually a numpty. Lol.
Found this.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=760

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
Oh sorry, Keli, I thought I'd answered your question. Apologies! It is only 40 gal breeder. Above is story behind it

Thanks. I went back and reread your post and saw where you first answered my question. It looks so much bigger!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I already googled it when you placed a seed of doubt in my mind, believing me to think my old science school teacher was actually a numpty. Lol.
Found this.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=760
Aha! We have a science buff here yes, most living creatures need oxygen. I was talking about the planted "tortoise closed chamber" and frankly didn't even think about the underground roots or cellular level breathing at night, so you have a point! But... I still think that for tortoise keeping purposes the more plants in closed chambers, the better. My babies love them. I like good debate and hope we engage in another one soon. Good night