Best Reptile Humidifier for a Leopard Hatchling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaTortoise17

5 Year Member
Hi everyone - I am looking for the best type of fogger or mister for a leopard tortoise enclosure. I have read a lot of bad things about the ZooMed Reptifogger from people who have had it break down after just a few weeks. I am willing to pay more for a better quality mister or fogger that will last so that I can maintain a humid environment for my future hatchling. I am currently looking at one on LuckyReptile.com and another from MistKing.com. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Please let me know and point me in the right direction!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I as many others, use regular human house humidifiers. I have heard good things about the mistking on the chameleon forum. My humidifier was about 30-40.00 at bed bath and beyond. Don't get the monsoon, or reptifogger they both aren't worth the hassle.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
I also got a regular humidifier from target for like 30 bucks as well. I adapted it a little and used to plastic tubing I got from Home Depot and I ran that into my enclosure. I also have one of those timers and have it set to turn on every hour and a half during the day and every 3 hours at night.

Rambo

5 Year Member
Southern California
i think I have what Rich has, I got mine from target as well. It's a homles baby humidifier for 30 bucks and I also ran a tube in it

poop wrong pic, here it is

Attachments

• IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 109

tortoisefanatic

5 Year Member
I've had my ZooMed Reptifogger for about 18 months with no troubles at all. Of course, I only run distilled water through it, and every 6 months or so I run white vinegar through it for an hour to help clean it out some. However, when it eventually does fail, I'll probably save a few bucks and buy one such as those shown above. There is nothing wrong with them at all.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Tom said:
If you build a closed chamber, you won't need a fogger. Any enclosure with an open top will be a constant battle full of compromises and inconsistent results.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

But I see a reptifogger in the first pic...:p

Yeah, humidifiers can be a pain. I'm growing weary of constantly having to buy purified water to put in it. Not that it's expensive, but just having to go through the motions every week is becoming a chore. If I knew then what I know now I would have built a closed chamber before ordering the tortoise. The humidity does stay rather high and it's fully closed for at least 13 hours per day.

I'm not sure if anyone touched on exactly how many hours per day they need super duper high humidity. I'm sure in the wild they're exposed to dry conditions during certain activities.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
There rather cheap and I use regular tap water with not problems yet. Same with his drinking water I drink it myself so it can't be that harmful. I have a fully enclosure table with a plexiglass top and all the lights mounted on the inside. Every hour and a half during the day the humidifier turns on and that keeps my humidity up in the 80's

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Rich tap water works, but it can leave a white dust and shorten the life of the humidifier unless you buy those expensive filters that you have to change every month. I got a Crane humidifier and it recommends purified or distilled water.

But if you have access to a purified water vending machine, it's only .30 a gallon. I usually buy 4 gallons a week so it costs a little over a buck compared to paying $1 a gallon at the grocery store.

NinjaTortoise17

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, this was helpful - esp. the photos - unfortunately I made the mistake of buying an open top enclosure for my fiancee and Benito as a gift so it is a constant battle and the reptifogger was great until it broke down (after just a week)

Status
Not open for further replies.