Best Set up For Leos

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmayor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Whittier, CA.
Hey guys! So i will be getting my first Leopard within in the week to come and i am doing my reasearch on them as well reading all of your guys different Threads which have helped out already. With that being said I want to know what you guys think is the best set up for a Hatchling Leopard, I would like to know everything from lights to substrate to hides, this isnt my first tortoise just my first Leopard and i want to do my best to make my little guy have a good life so if you guys can please give me your knowledge i would really be thankful for it. Thank you.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
ok i have one. i have a 5 week old leo tort and his shell is soft when will it harden. I give cal with d3 on his food also what is the best way to get to eat and gain weaght. Any info would help no seems to answer my posts.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Shells Take A While To Harden, As Long As It Doesnt Get softer You Are All Good!
Just Sprinkle The Supplement On a couple times weekly, and Give Him a Nice Varied Diet!
Cactus, spring mix, santa barbra mix dark leavy greens

nharr2

5 Year Member
Illinois
I always hear people say a varied diet.... does that mean at the same time? or just different foods each day?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Varied Diet can Consist Of Different Foods Everyday!
Also If You Want To Make a Dinner Of Your Own, Such as Sometimes i Make Mixes
Of Cactus, Grass, and Rose Pedals and Mix Up Up For Food,
Think About It You Dont Want the Same Food Everyday or Every other day, Just Mix it up
and keep it healthy,
Do You feed Muzuri?
Its A Diet Product You Can Wet and Mix With There Food, It Helps Keep Them Healthy, grow Faster its Great!

Many Member sell it ON Here, or Reptile Stores

http://shop.mazuri.com/mazuritortoisediet.aspx

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Different foods throughout the week. It doesnt necessarily mean every day.

@Gabe just try different things out. As long as you keep the same key elements we talked about, you should be fine.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Okay, Your Fine Then :)
GoodLuck If You Have Any Questions Feel Free To Ask!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
wildponey21 said:
ok i have one. i have a 5 week old leo tort and his shell is soft when will it harden. I give cal with d3 on his food also what is the best way to get to eat and gain weaght. Any info would help no seems to answer my posts.

At 5 weeks the shell should be getting pretty hard. All mine that hatch out plastrons are just slightly flexable at 5 weeks. Not as hard as a tortoise 6 months old, but I would not describe it as soft. I dont use any supplements. You should be getting your tortoise outside in the sun as much as possible and make sure you provide plenty on hiding spots. Typically, all my hatchlings get fed Mazuri, cactus, weeds and hibiscus. More than anything, keep your tortoise well hydrated. Daly soaks are best for this. Stay away from the extremes. I would shoot for 86 degree ambient, 90-95 degree basking spot, 60 to 70 percent relative humidity and a hide that is slightly more humid. I have hatched out around 80 leopards so far this year and have many pics of them here on the forum. There are a few forum members that have my hatchlings as well. They all state that they are doing great, eating like pigs and growing extrememly fast. Remember stay away from the extremems, 100+ basking, 80% + relative humidity and youll do just fine.
Good Luck

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I will agree that outdoors is the best set up you can give any tortoise. Just make sure you have plenty of shady spots so the tortoise doesn't have to go far to get out of direct sunlight.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
well he does eat but not as much as he should he is 37 grams. i am taking hime to my reptile vet just to make sure i have never had a tort this little. Also he is a leo and i have wated a leo for so very long.

gmayor

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA.
well im glad to see that my thread got jacked! lol... its all good though the bit of information was good to hear as well.:D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Oops. Everyone gets so excited to ask questions and solve issues that sometimes it gets a little side tracked. But, we all sure learn a lot that way! Everyone seems to agree that Cyprus mulch or coconut coir is the best substrate for a leo. I use cyprus mulch for my indoor enclosusre and am happy with it. Are you asking about indooors? It will hold moisture and is clean and easy for the tort to walk on. If you look at the "enclosure" threads you will get tons of ideas/photos for your leopard enclosure. There are varying opinions on lighting/heat for indoors and someone else might chime in on this. Good luck. Happy to see you on the forum. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.