Best soil/dirt for Hermann’s outdoor enclosure?

mmags

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi everyone, Humphrey’s an 8 month old Hermann’s tort so he’s still really small, I want him to start playing outside more in a space where he’ll be safe and won’t get lost. I got him an outdoor playpen and I wanted to fill it with soil or dirt of some sort, I read that plain garden soil with no additives or fertilizer could work but does anyone know any good brands? Most garden soils have perlite or some sort of additive so yeah pls let me know if anyone knows a good brand!

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Hi everyone, Humphrey’s an 8 month old Hermann’s tort so he’s still really small, I want him to start playing outside more in a space where he’ll be safe and won’t get lost. I got him an outdoor playpen and I wanted to fill it with soil or dirt of some sort, I read that plain garden soil with no additives or fertilizer could work but does anyone know any good brands? Most garden soils have perlite or some sort of additive so yeah pls let me know if a
nyone knows a good brand!
Timberline top soil is 100% organic (they claim). 2$ for a big bag! At Lowes but I don't know if this will be a good bedding for a tortoise just be a little cautious and keep an eye out for any changes in your tortoise.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Store bought soils aren't recommended because you don't know what's in them and it could contain plants composted that are toxic to your tort. I think I've read that ordinary soil from your own yard which you know for sure is safe, is OK but hopefully someone with more experience of that will tell you if that's right.
This is the caresheet for your species which will give you good substrate options so I would stick to those.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Timberline top soil is 100% organic (they claim). 2$ for a big bag! At Lowes but I don't know if this will be a good bedding for a tortoise just be a little cautious and keep an eye out for any changes in your tortoise.
Better to use the recommended substrates rather than hope for the best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone, Humphrey’s an 8 month old Hermann’s tort so he’s still really small, I want him to start playing outside more in a space where he’ll be safe and won’t get lost. I got him an outdoor playpen and I wanted to fill it with soil or dirt of some sort, I read that plain garden soil with no additives or fertilizer could work but does anyone know any good brands? Most garden soils have perlite or some sort of additive so yeah pls let me know if anyone knows a good brand!
You can use coco coir or fine grade orchid bark.

I like coco coir when they are small. Use a thick layer and hand pack it down. Keep it damp or is will be dusty and messy.

Once they reach around 3-4 inches, I switch them to fine grade orchid bark. I buy it in bulk at local garden centers, but you can also get it at pet stores or online.

For outdoor enclosures, I use the native dirt.

Soil should never be used for the reason that Lyn explained. Its made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what is in it. Think about what you and your neighbors put in those bins. Have you seen the aisles of toxic yard chemicals for sale at the chain hardware stores? People put that toxic crud all over their lawns and then put those lawn clippings in their bins. I throw away oleander clippings in my bin regularly. That stuff is highly toxic.