Best store bought food for Juvenile Hermanns tortoise

Jessica03

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hello, I’m getting a 3 month old Hermanns next month. I was wondering what would be the best staple diet I could buy for him? Also, best plants to eat? I live in Saskatchewan CA so everything is frozen outside and out of option. I want to be able to offer him or her the best diet I can. I will be planting my own weeds as soon as the snow melts so next year won’t be so much of a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica03

Canada
Ah yes, I know that. I have a juvenile chameleon and got the words mixed up. I got everything on care already. Just wanted to know he best foods I could buy at local grocery stores for in the winter.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Ah yes, I know that. I have a juvenile chameleon and got the words mixed up. I got everything on care already. Just wanted to know he best foods I could buy at local grocery stores for in the winter.
Safe grocery feeds include: red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, radicchio, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, turnip greens, collard greens, and mustard greens. Very limited kale, and no spinach. No fruit (too high in sugars and they cannot digest it very well). Just keep in mind that grocery store greens shouldn't be fed frequently as they don't offer much of any nutritional value. They can also have the optunia cactus if you can find a Hispanic grocery that sells it.
Mazuri is another food option. It's a formulated kibble that is full of fiber and nutrients.

Jessica03

Canada
Thank you so much! I knew those were good just wasn’t sure how much of each. Is there anything else other than grocery store greens I could feed frequently while everything’s frozen outside?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Thank you so much! I knew those were good just wasn’t sure how much of each. Is there anything else other than grocery store greens I could feed frequently while everything’s frozen outside?
Just the Mazuri kibble and the cactus I recommended if you're able to find it. You can also put a supplement on the food, though I don't know if places here can ship it to Canada. There's one I use a lot, and I buy it from TortRescue on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/683781331/8oz-mediterranean-graze

TortoiseRacket

New York
You can buy small dried fruit mixed in with a small bale of hay on amazon for cheap made for small animals. Can work with the foods mentioned above.

snivloc16

Kansas
You can buy small dried fruit mixed in with a small bale of hay on amazon for cheap made for small animals. Can work with the foods mentioned above.

Hermanns should not have any fruit at all. Even if it’s dried. And they really aren’t grass eaters so the hay probably won’t do any good either.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hermanns should not have any fruit at all. Even if it’s dried. And they really aren’t grass eaters so the hay probably won’t do any good either.

Please don’t rule out hay that fast . I grind up Timothy hay and give it to my Herman’s to give them more fiber in their food and it will make their poo more solid . Cause cactus and aloe will make their poo watery. [emoji217]

jr7162

Augusta KS
Safe grocery feeds include: red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, radicchio, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, turnip greens, collard greens, and mustard greens. Very limited kale, and no spinach. No fruit (too high in sugars and they cannot digest it very well). Just keep in mind that grocery store greens shouldn't be fed frequently as they don't offer much of any nutritional value. They can also have the optunia cactus if you can find a Hispanic grocery that sells it.
Mazuri is another food option. It's a formulated kibble that is full of fiber and nutrients.
Any suggestions on how to get them to eat the kibble? I have a hatchling that wont touch it. But he loves his clover and pansy.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Any suggestions on how to get them to eat the kibble? I have a hatchling that wont touch it. But he loves his clover and pansy.

I soak the Mazuri kibble in warm water until it's mushy. Can be served plain, or you can mix other foods in with it.

JLMDVM

Ohio
I’m using the Mazuri original formula and soak it before offering it. My Western Hermann’s hatchlings all enjoy it it. I love watching them dig into it! They get it about 3 times per week. So far I’ve been able to mostly feed them edible weeds from the yard, and have been mixing in some recommended grocery items so they get used to them for when the weeds die off over the winter. I’ve also started off some Testudo seed mix to grow some tasty, healthy weeds indoors to help for winter feeding.