Best Substrate For a Hermanns?

BennyandJackJack

Location (City and/or State)
Barnsley
Hello Benny - I was feeding Zola when I started thinking about JackJack's food -I know it can be difficult or impossible to get some of the exotic foods mentioned for Hermanns tortoises in this country. We give Zola a mixture of watercress, pea shoots, and rocket , from Morrisons,usually, also salad cress, dandelion leaves and flowers, plus whatever weeds from the garden are ok - but the thing he really loves is radicchio! Not the little bits in mixed salads, but I get a whole head of it, and take off a few leaves every day. It keeps really well in the fridge, for weeks. We have to go to a warehouse place 30 miles or more away, but I can stock up with 3 or 4 at a time,. If you haven't tried JackJack with it, you might like to have a go. This is him a few years ago with his radicchio !
AngieView attachment 356417
Ohh not a bad idea, I will try him with some raddichio - thank you for the food advice! he is still not eating a ton in the morning but tends to binge more in the afternoon.

I love the fact that in that picture it seems Zola is as big as his raddichio!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
The radicchio heads that we get now from the warehouse are often quite a bit bigger than Zola ! The people who work there have met Zola, and make a point of giving him their best ones, I think.
Here he is with a special Easter one...
bonnet2sm.jpg
And don't worry - he is not interested in chocolate, or any other sweets !
Angie