Best substrate for horsefield tortoise please help!

Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire
Hi x I've had my little guy for 2 weeks the previous owner was using coco coir/husk as a substrate. I don't really like this myself as I find it takes SO long to dry out to use (2days so far).
What would you all suggest I try? What about beech chip? He doesn't seem to want to burrow but this may be due to the substrate xx thanks

Hertfordshire
Thanks.
But I have read horsefield tortoises are from dry regions and they dont need much humidity? I thought damp substrate would produce more humidity? Xx

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Thanks.
But I have read horsefield tortoises are from dry regions and they dont need much humidity? I thought damp substrate would produce more humidity? Xx
Babies need more humidity than adults. In the wild they spend much of their time burrowed in the substrate (which is more damp and humid than on the surface) when they are not eating or basking. I keep my babies in 80% humidity (dampened substrate, a humid hide, and enclosed tortoise table) and the temperature never drops below 80 degrees in their enclosures, even at night. "Hot and humid" is the goal for babies.

Adults don't need as much humidity. They can also tolerate cooler nighttime temps.

Hertfordshire
Babies need more humidity than adults. In the wild they spend much of their time burrowed in the substrate (which is more damp and humid than on the surface) when they are not eating or basking. I keep my babies in 80% humidity (dampened substrate, a humid hide, and enclosed tortoise table) and the temperature never drops below 80 degrees in their enclosures, even at night. "Hot and humid" is the goal for babies.

Adults don't need as much humidity. They can also tolerate cooler nighttime temps.

Thank you.
We think he is around 3 years old he weighs aroung 400g and is 10cm long. He's on a tortoise table so can't have substrate too deep in case he tries to escape he doesn't seem to burrow at all but as I say may just be substrate issues xx
I brought a new bark log which he can climb over and also hopefully burrow under if I stuff it with substrate in the centre of his enclosure.
Thanks again. All info is greatly appreciated xx