best substrate for sulcatas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
what does everyone use for there sulcatas for there bedding? im interested in knowing, i heard timothy hay and/or bed a beast. whats the best? let me know

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i have eco earth which is the same as bed a beast and you can mix it in with topsoil

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I did use Eco earth until the vet told me to stop using it. Now I use Timothy or other hay/grass. Just not Alfalfa.

M

Maggie Cummings

Coldliz said:
I did use Eco earth until the vet told me to stop using it. Now I use Timothy or other hay/grass. Just not Alfalfa.

Why did the Vet tell you to stop using ecoearth?
I use fine grade orchid bark. It really holds the humidity up in the habitat and is soft enough to burrow in.
I don't like using hay as a substrate because it's just too dry.

Coldliz...how are you creating humidity with a hay substrate? There are 3 things that you need with Sulcata so they don't pyramid...correct food, humidity, and exercise.
Mine are past the age where they need substrate but when they were small I kept them on orchid bark and they have grown quite well. I keep other species on orchid bark now. I love the stuff. It's a great substrate.
I hope you are soaking your tortoises everyday if he is on such a dry substrate. IMHO a water dish in the habitat would not create enough humidity.
Just out of curiosity, is your Vet a reptile Vet and how old is your Sulcata?

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I use Eco earth to provide them a humid environment and prevent pyramiding... i used to have alfalfa pellets but it was way to dry for them and it was irritating their eyes which is when i switched to eco earth and a few days later they became more active and their eyes went back to normal.... i also spritz the top layer every day with water and i use a small rake for planters(not sure what its called) and i spray the substrate as i mix it around

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
so is eco earth the best solution for sulcatas? im getting sick of sand and its always worries me about the sand causing problems. should i use this for my leopards or should i get them a reptile carpet of some sort?

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
IMO i think thateco earth is one of the best, and i would deffinently use it over cage carpet

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i spray it everyday with water and i mix around the dirt so that its nice and moist but my turtles haven't shown any trouble opening their eyes, they only had trouble opening their eyes when i used alfalfa pellets and it was dry in their home but once i took them outside for some exercise they were able to open their eyes so i changed their substrate to eco earth and problem solved. But the eco earth should be mixed with topsoil cause i think it retains the moisture more... so far they only have eco earth as a substrate and they're eyes are very healthy but once again i spray it while i mix the substrate around...... oh and they like to burrow so that combination makes it easy for them to burrow when they need to.

M

Maggie Cummings

Plucky said:
Coldliz said:

My friend also told me to stop using it.
he said it can cause eye iritation...

is that true?

Eco earth is a good substrate when mix 50/50 with clean play sand. You shouldn't worry about sand causing an impaction as long as it's mixed with the Eco-earth and the tortoise is well hydrated.
Chelonia keepers have been using Eco earth or bed a beast for years successfully. There is no need to not use it. I cannot stress enough that humidity is absolutely necessary to help prevent pyramiding. If you are uncomfortable with using the Eco-earth try orchid bark. That's what I kept my smaller Sulcata on and also the desert tortoises that I raised. I have always used fine grade orchid bark and I swear by it. Any kind of hay just isn't a good substrate for any tortoise that needs humidity.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
change it every month...... thats okay, its going to be hard to see their poop just make sure you take out what you can.. also keep in mind that they eat their poop... I would suggest just using eco earth mixed with top soil... go to www.sulcatastation.org for more info on the substrate, they'll tell you what to avoid and what to use.

M

Maggie Cummings

dcoolguy68 said:
change it every month...... thats okay, its going to be hard to see their poop just make sure you take out what you can.. also keep in mind that they eat their poop... I would suggest just using eco earth mixed with top soil... go to www.sulcatastation.org for more info on the substrate, they'll tell you what to avoid and what to use.

I have some substrate that has been in the habitat for years. I have 8 habitats in the house with orchid bark as the substrate. Everyday I pick up the poop and old food then moisten it and stir it all up. Changing the substrate every month would get mighty expensive for me. I think that's completely unnecessary...
Why do you think it needs to be changed out so often?

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well I get the 3pack of eco earth for like $8 and i only use one brick plus my family is a little paranoid about catching salmonella so i just change it every month

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was told to stop using because it was too humid for a Sulcata. Too moist. It was causing nasal problems for mine and part of her nose came off because of the moisture. Many people use it though and are fine. I changed mine due to the issues I personally had with it. I use the hay now which is very easy to change and clean.

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
Coldliz said:
I was told to stop using because it was too humid for a Sulcata. Too moist. It was causing nasal problems for mine and part of her nose came off because of the moisture. Many people use it though and are fine. I changed mine due to the issues I personally had with it. I use the hay now which is very easy to change and clean.

how damp did you keep it? ive never heard anything like this before

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i let the eco earth dry off for a little bit before i put them in there maybe you added to much water to it and just put them in there.

M

Maggie Cummings

evin said:
Coldliz said:

how damp did you keep it? ive never heard anything like this before

I am pretty experienced with Sulcata and I have never heard of part of a nose falling off from being to moist. I keep my substrate pretty wet. In the wild Sulcata make long burrows. They pee and poop and pee and poop and the humidity is fairly high down inside where they sleep. I'm wondering if that Vet is a reptile Vet, one that specializes in reptiles? Hay IMHO just isn't a good substrate for any Sulcata.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The vet I used was experienced with Tort's. At the time I used the Eco earth I had her in a tank. When she would walk around the edge of the tank she would rub her nose on the glass. She got some of the Eco earth in her nostril which caused infection. Resulting in her nose breaking off.
Now she is no longer in the tank. I do measure the humidity. With her water dish, a sponge in her hide and the area I live in, the humidity stays %30. Since I changed her enclosure and substrate she's been fine.

M

Maggie Cummings

Coldliz said:
The vet I used was experienced with Tort's. At the time I used the Eco earth I had her in a tank. When she would walk around the edge of the tank she would rub her nose on the glass. She got some of the Eco earth in her nostril which caused infection. Resulting in her nose breaking off.
Now she is no longer in the tank. I do measure the humidity. With her water dish, a sponge in her hide and the area I live in, the humidity stays %30. Since I changed her enclosure and substrate she's been fine.

So then actually her nasal problem came from being raised in an aquarium and rubbing her nose against the glass and not the substrate or the humidity. 30% humidity is not enough. He should be kept at 70 or 80%. You might think about asking your Vet about the humidity...I personally don't think it's high enough. Thanks for telling me about your Vet...I hope your little tort will be alright on the hay...sending good thoughts your way

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
maggie3fan, im defently switching to orchid bark that you speak of, do you mix it with anything and do you mist it or anything? where can you buy orchid bark?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No it was from the substrate. The substrate was too moist, got impacted in her nose causing infection. The humidity is higher in her hide. I don't keep the entire enclosure high humidity. That way she can regulate what she wants.
I know that since I changed it she seems much happier. More active and eats better.

Status
Not open for further replies.