Best substrate to avoid fungus gnats??

zhivaham

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I have had my baby sulcata enclosure set up for a couple of weeks now (no tort yet). I have 75W basking bulb, a 10.0 UVB tube, and a small CHE. I have been using coco coir/cypress mulch mix as substrate but in just two weeks, there has been an EXPLOSION of fungus gnats. How do I keep them at bay without drying it out too much? The ambient humidity next to the enclosure is 70% because it’s located in my fish room, which is super warm and humid all the time. Should I try and keep the substrate drier to keep the gnats away? They’re everywhere and it’s driving me insane.

FrankiesMom

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
I just received approx 30 roly polys that I ordered due to the little crawling & gnat bugs in Frankie's enclosure. Im not sure if 30 is enough because his enclosure is pretty big. I get so grossed out when I open his enclosure in the morning and all these little bugs are crawling on his food dish. I clean it daily so I don't know what they are doing on there. We just moved 2 weeks ago so all of the substrate (coir & reptibark) were new...so its crazy how quickly these things took over again. Are roly polys sufficient, do I need more, or do I just not worry about it?