best substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
washington state
hey everyone! i got a question about substrate. can anyone tell me the best substrate to go with or what they use? i was planning on using 50/50 with Eco earth and play sand. or is 60/40 better? someone please let me know!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would go with a lower % of the sand, even perhaps a 80/20 but no higher then 70/30. That is what I use as the base for all my enclosures and I love it (and more importantly, so do the tortoises).

To me, the cypress is just to large chunked, too sharp, does not hold the moisture as well, and is just not made for burrowing into. A small space with some cypress mulch is okay, but not the entire enclosure. If you keep your animal well cared for, the sand should not cause any impaction problems. Actually ALL substrates carry some impaction issues.

Another good option would be making a bio substrate.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Most blockages occur, not because the animal eats the substance, but because it fails to move thru the body. If the animal is kept well hydrated and is eating, then the things eaten should pass thru. A major exception is if the size of the object creates a problem (like a rock) or if using sand this time, if he eats a large amount of sand (which is why you thin the sand amounts down with coir. rather then using it as straight sand).

Also helps to not feed the animal on the substrate (no matter what kind your using). Rather feed him on a flat rock, dish, lid, whatever.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi austinSOLO:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

babylove6635

5 Year Member
i would just put it on a flat dish for him if your inclosure is all substrate, or maybe put some flat rocks in one end.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I use 100% coco coir, and I love it. Good at retaining moisture, very diggable. My torts like to burrow down into it, and they seem very comfortable. Also, rather easy to clean (sort of like kitty litter that way). It's clean, smells nice, and doesn't harbor insects or fungi. Very affordable, too. Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.