Best temperature to move outdoors

Stephen Shikaze

Hi there,
I have a couple of female three-toed box turtles that are both 5 years of age. I received them last November from someone who didn't have time for them any more so they have spent their whole lives indoors. I set up a pen in my back yard measuring roughly 6'x4' with substrate at a depth of about 8 inches (topsoil/potting soil) and planted with strawberries and other non toxic perrenials as well as a large hide and water dish for them to soak, and a corner with leaves and straw to burry in. The pen is in a location that gets about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight every morning, but remains shaded for the rest of the day, with patches of sun through the trees. I put them outside a few days ago, the ambient daytime highs have been 24-30 degrees C (75-85F) dropping to 11-15 at night (50-60F). While they eat great indoors, I have not observed any feeding behaviour while they have been outside, and their food remains untouched. They are both active while it is sunny, but either hide, or burry themselves at night. I read that it is ok for them to be outside as long as nighttime lows do not drop below 45F but I wanted a second opinion. Is this lack of feeding due to adjusting to their new surroundings or do you guys think it is still too cold for them to be out? Would it be best to bring them back indoors, or should I wait to see if anything changes?
Thanks so much,

Stephen

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi there,
I have a couple of female three-toed box turtles that are both 5 years of age. I received them last November from someone who didn't have time for them any more so they have spent their whole lives indoors. I set up a pen in my back yard measuring roughly 6'x4' with substrate at a depth of about 8 inches (topsoil/potting soil) and planted with strawberries and other non toxic perrenials as well as a large hide and water dish for them to soak, and a corner with leaves and straw to burry in. The pen is in a location that gets about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight every morning, but remains shaded for the rest of the day, with patches of sun through the trees. I put them outside a few days ago, the ambient daytime highs have been 24-30 degrees C (75-85F) dropping to 11-15 at night (50-60F). While they eat great indoors, I have not observed any feeding behaviour while they have been outside, and their food remains untouched. They are both active while it is sunny, but either hide, or burry themselves at night. I read that it is ok for them to be outside as long as nighttime lows do not drop below 45F but I wanted a second opinion. Is this lack of feeding due to adjusting to their new surroundings or do you guys think it is still too cold for them to be out? Would it be best to bring them back indoors, or should I wait to see if anything changes?
Thanks so much,

Stephen

Hello Stephen! Those temps are perfect for your guys to be outside and yes most likely the new surroundings are causing the lack of eating or they might be eating more protein i.e. insect critters and of course you might not be seeing that;) I would let them adjust for a good week but offer food every other day and see how they respond!

Stephen Shikaze

Hello Stephen! Those temps are perfect for your guys to be outside and yes most likely the new surroundings are causing the lack of eating or they might be eating more protein i.e. insect critters and of course you might not be seeing that;) I would let them adjust for a good week but offer food every other day and see how they respond!
Thanks so much, that's really reassuring!