Best thermostat settings for leopard tortoise?

LeChef

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA USA
I've decided on a leopard tortoise after flip flopping between them and a russian tortoise.

I've been trying to tweak the basking area to get the perfect temp, though the thermostat confuses me a bit. I'm just looking for peoples thermostat settings, mine is set so it turns on when the lamp gets below 90 degrees F and turns off when it passes 95 degrees F. I'm using the philips 65w flood lights (non led) and have the lamp inside the tank currently to get the best basking temp.

I only get concerned because whenever I go to check on the heat its off because its passed 95F and i'm wondering is that okay for the tortoise and will be normal for the thermostat? I understand that's it's purpose I just get worried it might not give the tortoise enough basking time.

this is the thermostat I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083Q7YRBM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You shouldn't use a thermostat to control the "indoor sun". Use a timer for that. Get the basking temperature correct by adjusting the height of the fixture, using a different wattage bulb, or using an in-line rheostat to dial the correct temperature in. You don't want the "sun" turning on and off all day.

The thermostat should control ambient temperature and should be set to 80 for a leopard tortoise. The basking bulb should raise the ambient temperature above 80 during the day.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.
Here is the correct care info. Most of what you find will be all wrong, as it has been for decades. Questions welcome:

LeChef

San Diego, CA USA
You shouldn't use a thermostat to control the "indoor sun". Use a timer for that. Get the basking temperature correct by adjusting the height of the fixture, using a different wattage bulb, or using an in-line rheostat to dial the correct temperature in. You don't want the "sun" turning on and off all day.

The thermostat should control ambient temperature and should be set to 80 for a leopard tortoise. The basking bulb should raise the ambient temperature above 80 during the day.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.
Here is the correct care info. Most of what you find will be all wrong, as it has been for decades. Questions welcome:
Ohh okay, a smaller wattage bulb maybe a 45w would work better too because of the height of the tank as the 65w is quite strong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ohh okay, a smaller wattage bulb maybe a 45w would work better too because of the height of the tank as the 65w is quite strong.
Yes. I use 25 watt round bulbs in my large closed chambers in summer time, and switch to 45s in winter. If your fixture is mounted on the ceiling and you can't raise it, a rheostat might make your life easier than buying a bunch of bulbs. Even more so since we can't get incandescent flood bulbs here anymore.