Best time to move from closed tank to tortoise table???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redari

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I'm just wondering at what size/age should you move your baby to a tortoise table? I've got my baby star in a 50 gallon with a 3/4 enclosed lid, closed all the way at night. It seems like an okay size for him for now (he's about 2 1/2 inches).

I plan on building a large tortoise table for him, but I would like to wait until I know what sex he is to get a better idea of how big he's going to be. There must be a balancing act between keeping the little guys in a easily controlled tank, and giving a growing tort more room at the expense of lower humidity.

What size do people normally move them from a tank to a tortoise table? I don't want to keep him cramped, but I don't want to give him less humidity too soon. I live in a very dry place.

Thanks!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thats a great question and Ive been running this through my own head lately. I think 2 1/2 inches is still small enough to benefit from more of a closed controled enclosure so he can benefit from the humidity. I think 4 to 5 inches would probably be a good guess

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I dont know where this point is with stars. With sulcatas it is 6-8". Redfoots and leopards seem to need to be bigger before you are out of the woods. I would GUESS that a stars requirement would be similar to a leopards, but I don't have that magic number for either.

In my opinion, the way to go is use a closed chamber for babies and then transition to a large open table with a proper humid hide when they get bigger. I'd really keep up with the soaks for a while during this transitional time too.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Would it be too stressful to the tort for you to make a gradual move? Maybe move the tort to the table for the daylight hours and then move back to the 50 gal container for the evenings and add some outdoor time when the weather allows.

What humidity difference do you have between the 50 gal and the indoor and can the same temperature be maintained?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.