Best time to soak a tortoise?

mmags

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi! I have a new baby tortoise and I gave him his first soak yesterday. I had his water luke warm as suggested but I had to change the water a few times as it kept getting cold. He soaked for about 15 minutes but he did not poop or have any urate. He just finished his food and now he is basking, I haven’t given him his soak yet but my question is should I be giving him his soak before/after eating? I want to give him his soak right now but I want to let him bask.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I always did it in the morning for 30 minutes and then fed him right after. Yes you have to keep changing the water to keep it warm or put the soak container in the enclosure to the side of the basking light.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I soak first thing before food. No issue if no poop or urates it will happen ☺️. Water temp can drop I have a second bowl to transfer my tortoise over to, with fresh warm water. On a Sunday I weight after the soak, keeping a log is nice to have and in time will show you growth with weight increase and weight loss etc...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I have a new baby tortoise and I gave him his first soak yesterday. I had his water luke warm as suggested but I had to change the water a few times as it kept getting cold. He soaked for about 15 minutes but he did not poop or have any urate. He just finished his food and now he is basking, I haven’t given him his soak yet but my question is should I be giving him his soak before/after eating? I want to give him his soak right now but I want to let him bask.
I soak them whenever its convenient for me. I feed them every morning.

Put the soaking tub somewhere warm, like inside the enclosure, so the water doesn't cool during the soak.