Best tortoise for indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
What is your preferred species of tortoise for an Indoor Apartment?
I'm looking between Russian, Greek, and Hermanns tortoise. The tortoise would be outdoors only for some time during the summer. I live in the northeast.

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Either one of those three are great!
Goodluck just do your research in all three and see which one would be best for you under conditions.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
Great! I've been doing alot of research and I'm looking forward to hopefully getting a hermanns tortoise sometime in the next couple weeks. I've been told that a 2X4X12in high enclosure is too small but its already built and I'm not really good with building. This is the enclosure. http://www.radiofence.com/products/Reptology-Tortoise-Palace-by-Penn-Plax.html. I'm thinking that if I get a male hermanns it shouldn't grow too large for the enclosure.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Have you read Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread? There's loads of useful information.

Russians and Greeks are lovely torts, but they are happiest in a garden. If you cannot give an animal the conditions it really needs, it is kinder to get a different pet. It's not fair to expect it to cope otherwise

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
I have read tom's beginner mistakes and have already done many hours worth of research. I think a hermanns will be fine in my apartment.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you can get them outside in the summer for even part of the day, over a few months, they will benefit greatly. They absolutely thrive outside.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
Yes I'm planning on some outdoor time for the summers. Greeks are probably not the best tortoises for the humid summers here in NYC right? I would say hermanns are better?

Status
Not open for further replies.