Best Tortoise Light Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhbgirl

5 Year Member
I have 2 Red foot tortoises and have been trying to increase temperatures. What type of light fixture do you think distributes heat the best? I have noticed that some people use strip lights but I have always used domed lamps. I do cover up half of my enclosure but it is not shown in the picture.

image-3414997791.png

So what do you all think? Strip lights, domes, ceramic lamps?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
fluorescent lights don't produce much heat at all. your best bet, if you already cover half the enclosure, is to get a higher wattage bulb. i see you have 2 fixtures, is one uvb and the other just light or....?

I'm not familiar with the zoomed enclosure but what is the distance from the light to the tort? certain bulbs require the animals to be a certain distance for their safety. and if you were to get a higher wattage bulb i would suggest getting some small link chain and hanging the lights from the ceiling. or build a cheap wooden stand to hang them from.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Are you currently using a power sun? I have a zoo med cage and the kid is pretty much fully covered with Holes for my dome lights. That keeps a lot of humidity and heat in for me. I also have a 18" UVB mounted on the underside of the top door.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
For my enclosure for my four reds I have a 160 w Arcadia D3 MVB, a 100 w ordinary spot heat bulb and a 100 w CHE.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Do they like the light that bright? A lot of redfoots don't like brightness. So I use a ceramic heat emitter - they don't give light, but you can adjust the temperature to as hot as you need. You may need to put one on each side.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I use the cage for CHE's and the dome for lights. It works well for me.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Redfoot Micah said:
Do they like the light that bright? A lot of redfoots don't like brightness. So I use a ceramic heat emitter - they don't give light, but you can adjust the temperature to as hot as you need. You may need to put one on each side.
Believe me, it's not a small viv. They love basking under the MVB. There are a few sections to it- a dark forest area with msiter under the second level, a grassland area, a forest edge area and a water area.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I have not tried this but have read about heat tape. This is an interesting thread as my Leo will one day need a very large area and I don't want him to have this large enclosure and only be able to use part of it to stay warm . It would be nice have a way to heat the entire large enclosure. Like a small room in side a large room . I actually thought of having a room done with a heated floor. I have nor researched heated floors yet though.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
MasterOogway said:
I have not tried this but have read about heat tape. This is an interesting thread as my Leo will one day need a very large area and I don't want him to have this large enclosure and only be able to use part of it to stay warm . It would be nice have a way to heat the entire large enclosure. Like a small room in side a large room . I actually thought of having a room done with a heated floor. I have nor researched heated floors yet though.
We have one in our kitchen-nice with British weather lol. Is heat tap simialar to heat ropes?

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Do you think a heated floor would help in a room or even a shed compared to just a heated standard room were the her rises ?
I have read about both but i not sure about the heat tape. I think the rope is sold by pet stores and is safe. There is a video on YouTube by big apple pet supply on heat ropes

Status
Not open for further replies.