best tortoise/reptile shop in LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickwack

5 Year Member
I will be traveling from overseas to Los Angeles in a few weeks. I was wondering what is a good place to shop for reptile/tortoise supplies in the area. I will be looking to buy mercury bulbs, bulb domes, ceramic heat emitters etc for my setup.... i have been looking at prices online and i would like to find a shop that has similar prices and a good selection...

any suggestions? thanks!

ps: i cant order online since i live overseas and it would cost a lot to ship the goods here.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I don't live in LA, but you'll probably want to stick to a chain store like Petsmart or Petco. Smaller mom and pop pet stores jack the prices way up on pretty much everything. At least every one I've ever been to.

I had a fish tank emergency and had to rush to the local pet store to get some chemi-pure. I normally pay $6 something for it online. They charged $14...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The cheapest prices will always be found online since they don't have to pay all the costs of maintaining a store front. You could order the stuff online and have it delivered to your hotel.

If you really want a store front, you can't do better than LLL Reptile. They are just a little south of L.A., with three locations. Or is it 4 locations now?

I'm also friends with the guys who run Reptile Island. Also 3 location and a little closer than LLL. These guys make fantastic custom caging for any reptile, but also have all the other good stuff in stock too with excellent prices in general. With 3 locations, they should be able to get you the volume you are looking for.

Or there is a guy named Rusty at Exotic Life in the San Fernando Valley, just North of L.A. He's a good guy too.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Can't argue with Tom on this fact...especially Exotic Life in Chatsworth! He's got a Pignose turtle in there...and a good selection of tortoises and chameleons.

Another store that was better a couple decades back...but still holds its own...is PREHISTORIC PETS! They've got a store in Chino and another in Fountain Valley. Last I heard, they charge admission, because they get so many looky-loos! But, they do apply admission towards purchase, so nothing wrong with that...I guess!

Anyway, enjoy the southland!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Also Reptile Depot in Van Nuys. Owner name is Mark, tell him Cory sent you, and you will get some great deals!

Their phone # is 818-781-7082

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
spikethebest said:
Also Reptile Depot in Van Nuys. Owner name is Mark, tell him Cory sent you, and you will get some great deals!

Their phone # is 818-781-7082

They went out of business while you were away. L.A. Reptile now has that phone number and they do have a retail section now. If you call that number, they will tell you how to get there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
spikethebest said:
I was just there last week, I thought the sign said Reptile Depot... maybe im wrong

Where? Mark's place? Reptile Depot was the one just down the street from Exotic Life. They moved a few years ago and then went out of business a year or so after that. The guy that ran it was working for Exo-Terra, last I saw. That phone number now goes to Mark's place.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
spikethebest said:
I was just there last week, I thought the sign said Reptile Depot... maybe im wrong

Where? Mark's place? Reptile Depot was the one just down the street from Exotic Life. They moved a few years ago and then went out of business a year or so after that. The guy that ran it was working for Exo-Terra, last I saw. That phone number now goes to Mark's place.

Yea I am pretty sure I have the case of the Monday's. Forgive me. BTW, I bought 8 ninja turtles and a little costume at target. coordinated with grandma not to overlap.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
spikethebest said:
Yea I am pretty sure I have the case of the Monday's. Forgive me.

But...it's Tuesday! :rolleyes:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Tom said:
The cheapest prices will always be found online since they don't have to pay all the costs of maintaining a store front. You could order the stuff online and have it delivered to your hotel.

Tom's idea here is best for saving $$. Many mail order places will not charge for shipping if the total order is over a certain amount. Call first to make sure what you want is in stock.

That Pet Place <http://www.thatpetplace.com/> will tend to beat the price of any other online vendor for the items you menton.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.