Best tortoise species for personality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern USA
I posed this same question when I was considering a species to work with it. From all accounts, the best tortoise that also fit the envronment I could most easily provide was the Manouria emys pahyeri. I know boxies and redfoots have great personalities, but I wanted something that gets large, but not something that couldn't tolerate indoor accomadtions in Winter. I adore sullies, galaps, and aldabras, but I can't offer a sully the right home and the other two are out of my price range, as well as being usuitable for my long term plans.

My 2 year old Manouria come out to investigate, if I cause any disturbance in there immediate area, before I have fed them for the day. They are shy, but quickle warm up to handling and head petting, once out for a time. They are rather inactive, coming out to pig out and then retreating to thier hide, but I expect that they will get more outgoing with age and size. It is natural for juveniles to be more wary and less personable, but once they associate you with food, you are thier knew beloved...a dog in a shell is what you'll have.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
I wouldn't know what to answer, because I have only been around DTs...
and red eareds, too, but I really don't like them...
I have 13 DTs so far... and all of them with different personalities!!
I wouldn't just be able to circle them in just one personality as they are really different from each other...
I guess Tortoises personality depends a lot on how well she or he knows and trusts you, and how she/he feels in his area and things like that...

LisaS

5 Year Member
I had a Hermann's tortoise for 21 years who understood everything I said and used to talk to me. She had me trained. She was a character. But I've known male Hermann's who were aggressive and biters.
My Redfoot tortoises are Labrador Retrievers trapped in shells. They're smart and affectionate, curious, vocal, very social and love to be handled.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
Az tortoise compound said:
Russians as Tom stated, afraid of nothing! Evel Kneivels of the tortoise world!

I named my Russian tort Tanker because he's afraid of nothing and is barely in his shell. He's so friendly and goes over and through anything that's in his way!:tort:

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
top three (in order)
Sulcatas because Love to be touched and rubbed down
Redfoots because they are true clowns
Russians as Tom stated, afraid of nothing! Evel Kneivels of the tortoise world!

I agree with this order 100% :)

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I love Leopards, but I must say that I met my first Sulcata yesterday and WOW, that tort was full of personality!!!

That sulcata made my Princess Leia seem like a pretty little......

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Any Tortoise will have "personality"........Even my Pancake Tortoises had it.......

The problem lies in the fact that "People" personalities sometimes don't mesh with "Tortoise" personalities.......Indivivdual perception comes into play, so there isn't a real answer........

With that said - You'll find people first mention the big Species - The wow factor is everything.........I remember the first Adult Aldabra I seen in person, and I've been hooked on big Tortoises ever since.......

I would rather ride a Tortoise than in a Prius anyday........

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Robert said:
I love Leopards, but I must say that I met my first Sulcata yesterday and WOW, that tort was full of personality!!!

Now now, Rob....

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Prettly little princess is what I was going to say.....

Robert said:

Now now, Rob....

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I enjoy reading everyones opinion on this topic! The truth is though, very few people have kept a large number of different species, so it is really hard for most people to compare one species to all the others. I think it is pretty well established that sulcatas have really great personalities, and they are also kept by many people (unfortunately not me :() I think it would be really cool if people who have kept sulcatas AND another species could compare the other species to sulcatas.

I am not saying sulcatas are the best (obviously, since I have never kept them), but I think that because they are kept by so many people they make a great baseline to measure other species against.

I think my Burmese stars have incredible personalities, but the only thing I have to compare them to are my leopards, which I think are pretty cool too - just not as "bold" as the stars. I just don't think that my opinion carries much weight because my experience is so limited. I would love to hear how different species compare to the awesome sulcatas!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I agree with the above post ive only kept 1 redfoot first tortoise i prefer to have just the one because you can devote your time to that one instead of dishing your time here......there......everywhere!
This is just my opinion....
I do admire who do keep more than one and keep groups !
:cool: x x

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My sulcata must be the oddball to everyone else, he is shy and timid and I have had him for 6 years now. While he does not act like he does not like me, he often runs away and hides. My russian on the other hand they all come running and act like I am the greatest thing since sliced bread.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Up until a few weeks ago all I have had was Sulcata's and now I have three box turtle hatchlings. I won't compare Vegas with the other because he is at the size where he does what he wants and not much bothers him...

Now Tejas is very timid most of the time, when we handle him to do anything he does his best to get away from us and if he see's us coming he will run and hide. Now the three box turtles have suprised me big time, if they see us coming they will stop what they are doing and just stare at us, after a few minutes of handling them they will want to be put down but they don't fight like Tejas. They allow us to rub there heads and some mornings when we go check on them we find them with there heads sticking out of the moss like they were waiting on us.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I've kept a sulcata, 3 Greeks, a Leopard, a Home's Hingeback, 5 Russians and 5 Hermann's, and very temporarily baby-sitted a red-foot...hardly makes me an expert, of course, but in terms of personality (and, just going by the personalities of the torts I've personally spent time with), I'd rate 'em in this order:

1 Hermann's (tons-o-personality!)
2 sulcata (very much like a Hermann's, in fact)
3 Greek (a bit shy at first, but eventually more interactive)
4 Russian (similar to Greeks)
5 Redfoot (similar to Greeks)
6 Leopard (always shy, but eventually less so)
7 Home's Hingeback (always very shy)

arby2774

5 Year Member
The Berkshires of Massachusetts
My friend's sulcata, Max, is the most amazing. He is like a dog in a shell. Of course I love her leopard and my Roger. So far I have been lucky to have known the most friendly and outgoing torts ever!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I only have box turtles and Cherry Head's, so I have nothing else to compare them with. The Cherries are very sweet, curious and friendly, but the box turtles are absolute clowns. I don't think I've ever gone out to the turtle garden and watched them that I didn't laugh at something they did. Yesterday I gave Pi a strawberry. When they eat they make a little clicking sound that the others hear. Some of them ran over and tried to rob Pi's strawberry, but some were smart enough that when they saw her eating, they came to me to get one, instead of robbing Pi's. I really thought this was very smart........maybe it's just me. Of course by this time Pi was laying across her whole strawberry, trying to eat it from under her arm. Little clowns..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
terryo said:
I only have box turtles and Cherry Head's, so I have nothing else to compare them with. The Cherries are very sweet, curious and friendly, but the box turtles are absolute clowns. I don't think I've ever gone out to the turtle garden and watched them that I didn't laugh at something they did. Yesterday I gave Pi a strawberry. When they eat they make a little clicking sound that the others hear. Some of them ran over and tried to rob Pi's strawberry, but some were smart enough that when they saw her eating, they came to me to get one, instead of robbing Pi's. I really thought this was very smart........maybe it's just me. Of course by this time Pi was laying across her whole strawberry, trying to eat it from under her arm. Little clowns..

My daughter's box turtles are pretty funny...Orion will outright steal whatever treat Andromeda is enjoying and then scurry at top speed to their Cave...Andromeda will then just give Kat the "sad eyes" treatment until she gives her another treat. :cool:

Can't wait until the new female (as yet un-named) comes out of quarantine, to see how she interacts w/ these two... :)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I can only speak for two species, but I find my russian to have a great personality. Like Tom said - they ain't afraid of anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like this debate. It tells me more about the people than it does the tortoises.:D

... and Terry Allen, my wife is not going to be happy with you when we end up with ANOTHER herd of tortoises. (Hermanni)

Status
Not open for further replies.