Hello, my name is AJ. I am going to graduate from college this year, and have been wanting a tortoise for the past few years. I only want one, so that way I can take the best possible care of it. There is just so much information out there - some clearly not very reliable, and others clashing. In order to start my search, I would like to know what is the best tortoise type in terms of:
- Personality and friendliness
- I would like to pet my tort, and have him or her be on the more interactive end. Understandably, individual variability does play a role, but there are some types that are more sociable than others?
- Slow growing
- I would like to get a tort hatchling that can grow to be quite big, the only issue is that I am still in my initial stages of settling in, and will be invariably moving around a lot. Thus, I need a little guy/gal that doesn't get too big too fast so that I can accommodate their needs as we both grow together.
- Northeast US climate
- I will of course provide proper heating and UV lamp, but the outside climate should be taken into account.
- Least health issues & Money
- Hardiness is of course quite important in terms of dishing out money. Proper care for any living being is very necessary as you want them to live the happiest and healthy lives possible. This being said, there are some types that are hardier than others.
- Specificity is also a key thing to consider because if I would need to buy a specific type of soil or bedding or feed for a certain type of tort, this would probably be less desirable.