Best tracker

Tilly?

Location (City and/or State)
Bedfordshire
Hello all. I have a small palm sized Hermann, a garden with field. Safe from dogs, I let her wander free when the weather is warm here in the UK. Can anyone recommend a precise tracker without monthly subscription. We have used a Tile but that isnt accurate and we have has issues with it connecting.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Seriously, do not let your tortoise wander free. EVER. I am speaking here with well over 40 years experience of keeping Testudo outdoors in the UK…. and also with having seen far too many escaped tortoise threads on this forum.

Trackers aren’t reliable, they’re very hard to attach securely, and even finding a 3.5kg monster like my Joe is an absolute nightmare as they blend in with the vegetation and it’s even harder when they start to dig down.

You only have to be distracted for a moment and they’re gone. In hit weather they move pretty fast.

Have a large secure enclosure that your tortoise cannot escape from. We turned over our entire garden to Joe and secured the boundary fences. You will still spend far too much time doing fingertip searches of the undergrowth trying to find your tortoise, but at least you have a fighting chance of finding it.

My thread on how we set things up for Joe to be outdoors full time in the British climate is here

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,

It's great you have a lot of space for your tort but he is far too small to be wandering in a field or left outside anywhere unsupervised.
I agree with LInda, torts tend to make for the boundaries so it only takes a tiny gap and they're gone.
You also have to be careful of predators - rats, foxes etc including bigger birds.
There have been stories of small torts being carried off and lost forever.
So make him a decent sized predator proof enclosure to keep him safe.

This is the most up to date carehseet you need to help you get things right with all aspects of is care

and www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, your tort might be a little small to run free all day. At that size he should be supervised. My sulcata didn't get free roam of the secure back yard until he was 2 and about 10lbs. Hawks and birds will fly off with them when they are small. Plus other critters can be a problem.