Best US state for Russian to reside?

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
Any thoughts on the best US location for Russian Tortoises to live (outdoors) - most similar to their natural habitats?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
In their natural habitat they spend most of the year underground. So if you ever want to actually see your tortoise you would probably have to live somewhere where it's warm year-round.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You'd want a hot summer, a cold winter, and generally dry all year.

That puts you in Arizona, perhaps? Nevada? Somewhere that already has native desert tortoises.

You won't find the temperature extremes from their native countries in the U.S. But as leigti mentions, you'd see them a bit more often.

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
I am in Texas and have been keeping my Russians outside most of the year and they do very well. I do move them inside for extreme weather and the coldest parts of the winter. They feed on a lot of the natural weeds we have and I have had successful breeding of them as well.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You'd want a hot summer, a cold winter, and generally dry all year.

That puts you in Arizona, perhaps? Nevada? Somewhere that already has native desert tortoises.

You won't find the temperature extremes from their native countries in the U.S. But as leigti mentions, you'd see them a bit more often.
Everybody knows AZ is tort heaven ! Evan though red and yellow foots hate it ! :)