Best UV light?? NOT tube

mikeh

5 Year Member
Old T8 tubes are weak. T5 HO tubes, Arcadia D3+ or Zoomed T5 5.0 and 10.0 have solid UVB output and more natural spectrum then MVBs.

Here is a comparison output chart between T8 and T5 HO tubes.
1391447285120.jpg1391447295455.jpg

Distance producing 100 microwarts is equivalent to UV index 3, using conversion formula for this type of bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Thankyou for your help. Just a quick question the arcadia T5 is 12% UVB is this ok for my 6 month old hermann?

OurTommy

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Yvonne G said:
I know you were looking for a screw in type bulb, but you know that you can mount the tubes on a wall, don't you? So if you have a wooden tort table, you can mount it on a side wall and get all the benefits of the UV without worrying about hanging the fixture.

I have it mounted at the minute. Just wondered if there was a bulb which meant I wouldn't have to do that on the new table.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Best UV light?? NOT tube

Tinkerbell said:
Thankyou for your help. Just a quick question the arcadia T5 is 12% UVB is this ok for my 6 month old hermann?

Yes, 12% is great but so is 6%. Difference will be distance positioning. 12% would need to be positioned higher, while 6% positioned lower to achieve same UV index. If UV meter is not available, the chart above can be used as a guide to achieve desired UV index.
Like I mentioned, achieving distance of 100 microwats will give you roughly UV index 3. Every inch closer or further will increase/decrease UV index. What I do is tilt the fixture where one end achieves UV index 3 while the other end is at UV index 5, giving wider range of UVB levels. One can also create a partial hill under one side of the tube to achieve more variety of UVB levels.
The length of the fixture will depend on size of your habitat. I aim at the UVB covering about 1/2-2/3 of the habitat.
I recommend burning in these tubes for 100hours before use in the habitat. These tubes last for a full year and can still be used after, by lowering them further as they start loosing UVB output. For that UV meter is needed to measure the UVB output.

OurTommy

UK
abclements said:
Just a quick question... I know you already said you have a CHE, but what's wrong with having a build that provides both light and heat? It would save you some electricity money to have just one bulb working at a time.

I would suggest getting an mvb and putting your che on a thermostat, that way it only kicks on if the mvb isn't warm enough and at nights.

I was just looking for a cheaper alternative as those bulbs can be very pricey by the looks of it

mikeh

5 Year Member

OurTommy said:
abclements said:
Just a quick question... I know you already said you have a CHE, but what's wrong with having a build that provides both light and heat? It would save you some electricity money to have just one bulb working at a time.

I would suggest getting an mvb and putting your che on a thermostat, that way it only kicks on if the mvb isn't warm enough and at nights.

I was just looking for a cheaper alternative as those bulbs can be very pricey by the looks of it

If you can work out the tube mounting, look into Zoomed T5HO. Here in the states 24" fixture with 5% tube combo is only $30. Just has to be mounted lower then 10% tube. It is almost as good as Arcadia.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Thank you that's made things much clearer for me My UVB fixture will be about 12" above my tortoise so i guess the 12% would be ok. Thankyou
For taking the time to give me advise

OurTommy

UK

mikeh

5 Year Member

OurTommy said:
My new table is going to be 40" long. The outside part where he can walk about roughly 33" long and 24" wide.

Which bulb would you recommend? I am looking at the Arcadia D3, D+ and T5 ones in this site - http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/uv-lighting-230-c.asp

Would this be sufficient? - http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/arcadia-t5-d3-reptile-lamp-24w-22in-fd324t5-1179-p.asp

Someone previously recommended the T5's

Thanks

Yes, that is an excellent choice. 22" would be perfect for the size of your table. You will need to purchase a T5HO fixture for the 22" tube.

Last thing, how high from the top of the substrate flooring will you place the fixture? That will determine weather 6% or the 12% is a better fit.

OurTommy

UK
mikeh said:
OurTommy said:
My new table is going to be 40" long. The outside part where he can walk about roughly 33" long and 24" wide.

Which bulb would you recommend? I am looking at the Arcadia D3, D+ and T5 ones in this site - http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/uv-lighting-230-c.asp

Would this be sufficient? - http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/arcadia-t5-d3-reptile-lamp-24w-22in-fd324t5-1179-p.asp

Thanks

Yes, that is an excellent choice. 22" would be perfect for the size of your table. You will need to purchase a T5HO fixture for the 22" tube.

Last thing, how high from the top of the substrate flooring will you place the fixture? That will determine weather 6% or the 12% is a better fit.

It will be about 6-7" above the substrate probably...

mikeh

5 Year Member

OurTommy said:
mikeh said:
OurTommy said:

Thanks

Unfortunately that is too low for even the 6% T5. You would need at least 10-12".

At 6-7" Arcadia T8 D3 6% is ideal.

The fixture needs to positioned above the tort shining downward. It should not be mounted on the side shining into torts eyes as seen on some tables.

OurTommy

UK
Would you recommend the 18" or 24" of these ones in that case... http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/r...-d3-reptile-lamp-t8-6-uvb-15w-18in-450mm.html

Thanks

mikeh said:
OurTommy said:
mikeh said:
OurTommy said:

Thanks

Unfortunately that is too low for even the 6% T5. You would need at least 10-12".

At 6-7" Arcadia T8 D3 6% is ideal.

The fixture needs to positioned above the tort shining downward. It should not be mounted on the side shining into torts eyes as seen on some tables.

mikeh

5 Year Member

Tinkerbell said:
If mine is placed 12" above the substrate do I need a 12% T5?

At 12" height I would go with T5 6% to be on the safe side. Perhaps go with longer tube next size up, to get more UVB area coverage. You can also make a 2" hill under one half. This will create UVB levels from maximum UV index 2-3 on low end and 3-4 on high end.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
That's a bugger (excuse the language ) just ordered the 12% full kit. Will
It be too strong as too late to change the order as it's been processed.

mikeh

5 Year Member
If you just ordered it, you should be able to call and change your order. Which website did you order from?

OurTommy

UK
mikeh said:
Tinkerbell said:

At 12" height I would go with T5 6% to be on the safe side. Perhaps go with longer tube next size up, to get more UVB area coverage. You can also make a 2" hill under one half. This will create UVB levels from maximum UV index 2-3 on low end and 3-4 on high end.

Can I just get some quick clarification on what tube exactly you would recommend for my new table.
The sides are 8.5" high but substrate will fill up some of that.

A link would be very useful.

Thank you in advance.

mikeh

5 Year Member

OurTommy said:
mikeh said:
Tinkerbell said:

Can I just get some quick clarification on what tube exactly you would recommend for my new table.
The sides are 8.5" high but substrate will fill up some of that.

A link would be very useful.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. We moved the other members inquiry.

Can you post photos of the set up. It will just make it that much easier.