Best UVB lighting for hatchling/Young Tortoises

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had recommendations on the best UVB bulbs to use for indoor enclosures for hatchling torts. I understand there is controversy regarding coil bulbs with potential blinding coming from said bulbs.

With that said, I was wondering if some brands and types could be recommended Ive used numerous types over the years with various efficiency but would love to hear from others. Preferably I'd like alternatives to the elongated tubes if possible.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The two most popular types are the Mercury Vapor Bulb and the tube type fluorescent bulb. I have both. I must admit the tube type puts off an awful lot of light (with the chrome fixture behind it), and I have to add many plants in the habitat to give more shade down at ground level. But the MVB gives you heat plus UVB, so I have to admit, I like this one better. In the tables that have the tube, I also have a 100 watt incandescent bulb for heat. This means two fixtures and way more light. I suppose you could use a CHE, which would give you heat without light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species?

In LA, I think the tortoise should get outdoor sunshine for most of the year, so your indoor UV needs would be minimal.

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Sadly here in louisiana it's much colder than expected (just moved from fla for grad school). Been below freezing several nights this week. Our adult torts get to go out at least twice a week all day on sunny days but hatchlings got g out for extended periods likely wouldn't work out.

The species I was enquiring about were leos and we are planning on getting them natural sunlight at least a few hours a week but the cold is terrible right now haha.

Could you recommend a brand of mvb bulb?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sadly here in louisiana it's much colder than expected (just moved from fla for grad school). Been below freezing several nights this week. Our adult torts get to go out at least twice a week all day on sunny days but hatchlings got g out for extended periods likely wouldn't work out.

The species I was enquiring about were leos and we are planning on getting them natural sunlight at least a few hours a week but the cold is terrible right now haha.

zooMed makes a great MVB called the Powersun

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

My preferred MVB brand is the Powersun, but I have found MVBs too hot to use over small tortoises in a closed chamber, and too hot and desiccating in an open topped enclosure. I would use a long tube type 10.0 bulb if it can be within 10-12" of the tortoise, or a 12% Arcadia HO bulb if it needs to be farther away. I get mine here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com Lots of good options on that site.

My tortoise often go 4-6 weeks with no sunshine or indoor UV in the winter. Its not a big deal and does no harm. As long as they get access to sunshine for most of the rest of the year, they will do just fine with no indoor UV at all.

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Louisiana
My preferred MVB brand is the Powersun, but I have found MVBs too hot to use over small tortoises in a closed chamber, and too hot and desiccating in an open topped enclosure. I would use a long tube type 10.0 bulb if it can be within 10-12" of the tortoise, or a 12% Arcadia HO bulb if it needs to be farther away. I get mine here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com Lots of good options on that site.

My tortoise often go 4-6 weeks with no sunshine or indoor UV in the winter. Its not a big deal and does no harm. As long as they get access to sunshine for most of the rest of the year, they will do just fine with no indoor UV at all.

Yes it seems as though those bulbs are designed for larger guys than our little hatchlings. They've been getting about 3-4 hours of sunshine a week on warm weather days so as you've said they should be doing ok! Thank you for all of the information everyone!

Thank you as well Tom. I frequent your write up on Leos and Sulcys constantly to compare it to my own care protocols!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes it seems as though those bulbs are designed for larger guys than our little hatchlings. They've been getting about 3-4 hours of sunshine a week on warm weather days so as you've said they should be doing ok! Thank you for all of the information everyone!

Thank you as well Tom. I frequent your write up on Leos and Sulcys constantly to compare it to my own care protocols!

Your torts aren't getting any sun today! I'm in New Orleans and it was 80+ here on Sunday and now its barely in the 40s. Brrr! It only gets this cold at my house in the middle of the night.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm in Northern Cal. We put all our torts out in the sun as long as the air temperature over 75F. And we have ZOOMED tube UVB light as "feel good" equipment. Feel good is for us....