Best Vegetables to Add to a Dogs Diet

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I cook food for my 5 dogs aged 1 to 13 years old and looking for other food items to add to their diet. I've pretty much have their meat items covered. Chicken, both light and dark meat. Chicken hearts, liver, gizzards. turkey both dark and light, boston butt, pork picnic. Ground meats are beef, round, sirloin, turkey, pork, venison and different ham meats that I grind up. I'm looking to add more veggies to their diet, right now I fix fresh green beans, carrots, potatoes and rice. Any suggestions on other veggies that are beneficial for pups? Or fruits?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been making Sukis food for about a year now. Ground Turkey. Ground chicken. Carrots and Green beans. I alternate with some chicken liver or beef.
I've tried sweet potato. But it made her refuse her food. (The reason why I make it for her)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I bought a case of Senior Blue Buffalo for Misty, who has been losing weight, and I notice it has peas in it. So maybe peas???
Suki will expertly eat around the peas. But you're correct. Her old NUTRO ULTRA food had peas in it too

Len B

10 Year Member!
I've been making Sukis food for about a year now. Ground Turkey. Ground chicken. Carrots and Green beans. I alternate with some chicken liver or beef.
I've tried sweet potato. But it made her refuse her food. (The reason why I make it for her)
I've been cooking meat for mine for a couple years now. Plus depending on dry food to complete their needs. But now with the cost increases of processed dog food I'm cooking to save money and give them a better diet, that's why I want to add more veggies to their daily diet. At the moment I can still buy most items I'm using for less per pound than a quality dog food cost per pound. I do have to spend a lot of time cooking. One thing I've cut from their diet is eggs because of their price increase. Well over $4 for regular large and over $6 for jumbo a dozen. I saw over $7 at one store.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I bought a case of Senior Blue Buffalo for Misty, who has been losing weight, and I notice it has peas in it. So maybe peas???
I hadn't thought about peas. The 2 youngest, Cowbird and Sarah eat peas. I had 2 older bags of frozen vegetables in the freezer a while back and they ate everything from the bags when mixed with meat.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Stuff I add to my dog's diet:

Pumpkin, carrots, green beans, salmon, liver, eggs, blueberries, yogurt/kefir, sweet potatoes, oatmeal....

Jamie
Fresh pumpkin or canned? Salmon is to expensive here. I don't remember offering sweet potato to the 2 young pups but the other 3 don't care for them. On the oatmeal, does it make a difference old fashioned or quick?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Suki is "special"
She only eats certain things. And they must be warmed up. And she'll only drink water from a certain bowl. And only if my wife or I am holding the bowl.
She's tiny and doesn't eat a lot. But she's a real pain in the rear.
She has a little cooked chicken or turkey at breakfast and the mix that I make at dinner. Re heated in a portion her size.

I AM concerned that her nutritional needs are being met. She's 6 now and the vet says she's in perfect health

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Fresh pumpkin or canned? Salmon is to expensive here. I don't remember offering sweet potato to the 2 young pups but the other 3 don't care for them. On the oatmeal, does it make a difference old fashioned or quick?
I feed canned pumpkin. I cook old fashioned oatmeal before serving it to dogs, and start with just a bit as it's a lot of fiber.

J

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think avocado is toxic to dogs? 🤔

Yes - scratch out avocado.

The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, and more serious signs in other animals due to a wide range in sensitivity across species. Birds, horses and rodents are especially sensitive to avocado toxicity.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Suki is "special"
She only eats certain things. And they must be warmed up. And she'll only drink water from a certain bowl. And only if my wife or I am holding the bowl.
She's tiny and doesn't eat a lot. But she's a real pain in the rear.
She has a little cooked chicken or turkey at breakfast and the mix that I make at dinner. Re heated in a portion her size.

I AM concerned that her nutritional needs are being met. She's 6 now and the vet says she's in perfect health
Your Suki sounds like Rocket my special one. He's 13 and has what looks like mild dementia starting. He is smaller than all the others but still the Alfa. He is a very picky eater and knows what he wants to eat each day. Not always the same as he ate yesterday and sometimes it takes a while to figure out what he's looking for. I can usually figure it out within 4 different food items. But it has taken 6 a couple times. After he gets what he wants he will eat some of the other foods. The kicker is I have to set in a certain chair before he will start eating. This morning he ate everything on his plate except the chicken gizzards and I cooked some chicken hearts a little later, so I cut a few up for him. Offered them to him this afternoon and he would have nothing to do with them until I cut up a turkey hotdog. Then he ate both.

Len B

10 Year Member!

LJL1982

UK
Thanks for the link. That's a great site for just about everything a dog can eat and shouldn't eat. Happy New Years.
Well yes, the AKC link to zucchini might have been a better link than to a commercial food org i agree...the zucchini info is accurate though i believe. Same to you :)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
There have been some studies lately, that are suggested a decrease in the amount of grains and an increase in the amount of legumes in dogs diet is leading to increased heart conditions - a certain type of cardiomyopathy. Basically after it became out of fashion for humans to eat carbs the idea of “grain free” dog foods have come into fashion because bougie dog food companies know people will pay more for perceived, improved quality, real or not. it’s actually getting harder and harder to purchase dog food that does have grains in it..

You can Google for more examples but here’s one article. :