Best Vegetables to Add to a Dogs Diet

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'll be ordering some dog supplements. It'll give me peace of mind.
It'll have to be a powder that I can mix in to her food.
I'll search Amazon.
I noticed that what you ordered is in pill form. I have a pill grinder, crusher or it goes by some other name that works great for turning pills into powder. Should be able to find it at any drug store.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I noticed that what you ordered is in pill form. I have a pill grinder, crusher or it goes by some other name that works great for turning pills into powder. Should be able to find it at any drug store
The stuff I ordered is a powder.
The few negative reviews said their dog disliked the taste. So I'll start out very lightly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230101_214434_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230101_214434_Samsung Internet.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
You didn't say what you replaced the Taste of the Wild with. I've been feeding Misty Taste of the Wild all her life (about 6 or 7 years) and this year she's terribly itchy. I just started her on Linatone and she's not as itchy, but still itchy. I'm wondering if it's the food.
i replaced it with stuff pretty much like this ........ the bones and carrots i grind ..... the pfizer pet tabs i give one every day , the fish oil most days , the d3 once or twice a week , the b-complex at least 2-3 times a week ...... the rescue dog was also terribly itchy , like he was infested with fleas , he scratched hot spots into the sides of his neck , the itchiness is completely gone ..... they did check him for mites , they found none , but did treat him for them ....... you may want to try just getting misty some fish oil (omega-3's)

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
i replaced it with stuff pretty much like this ........ the bones and carrots i grind ..... the pfizer pet tabs i give one every day , the fish oil most days , the d3 once or twice a week , the b-complex at least 2-3 times a week ...... the rescue dog was also terribly itchy , like he was infested with fleas , he scratched hot spots into the sides of his neck , the itchiness is completely gone ..... they did check him for mites , they found none , but did treat him for them ....... you may want to try just getting misty some fish oil (omega-3's)

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg
How about beets? I haven't seen anyone mention them as a possible addition, but I believe some of the dry dog foods include beets (or used to do so).

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I have zero evidence based experience to comment from, but my wife specialized in dog nutrition for 15 years. She sold all the prescription diets to all the vets in the area, and it was her job to educate the vets on canine nutrition and how that related to the various ailments and various diets Purina sold. Of course the vets and people educating my wife were biased, as was my wife. It was their job to sell Purina foods. But we heard lots of horror stories from several sources, including the vets who treated the animals suffering from malnutrition due to deficiencies and imbalances in home made dog diets. People mean well, and it CAN be done correctly, but from what we saw, it usually wasn't done correctly, and the dogs suffered for it.

The point of my rambling is this: The product in the post from @mark1 seems like a good idea to me. Just like our reptiles and the supplements we use, it seems like the Pet Tabs would be an easy way to reduce the likelihood of nutrient deficiencies in a home made dog diet. I would not argue the point with anyone who had evidence to the contrary, but I would include something like that if I were to start making my own dog food.
the pfizer pet tabs are chewable , the dogs like them ..... off the top of my head i've used diamond , taste of the wild , purina , nutro, california naturals , blue buffalo, iams, orijen, merrick ......... the only food i ever had issues with was nutro .........
had puppy had an intussusception , only thing she could ever eat was purina sensitive systems ...........

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
How about beets? I haven't seen anyone mention them as a possible addition, but I believe some of the dry dog foods include beets (or used to do so).
i have never used them , i think i might ... i got a dog needs to lose weight , i'll look into it as a filler , and those colored vegetables usually are pretty nutritious.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg
On my wife's recommendation, I use the fish oil too. Some component in it is supposed to help with brain development in puppies and I think it also helps with skin, coat, and joints.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Another thing I used to do with my dogs and myself was to save my vegetable broth. I have always had to cook from real food or frozen vegetables so I kept a canning jar or two ready at all times. It makes good homemade bread also. The only thing I'm iffy about for a dog is potatoes. It seemed like potatoes would make them sick if they weren't mashed or fried somehow so they didn't get any at all. I never use salt to cook my veggies because it does something nasty to them. So I don't see how it could be bad for a dog to have a few extra real vitamins from veggies poured over their kibble.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Looks fantastic.
Suki can't safely eat anything more than about 6mm. But she'd probably eat that. Good stuff.
I have to cut Rockets food into very small pieces. He's old, weighs about 9 pounds and a picky eater. A few years ago he got sick. I took him to 2 vets and both said he had fluid around his heart. One prescribed lasix which didn't seem to help it made him pee constantly. Can't remember what the other vet prescribed but it didn't help either. This all happened right after his sister Seven died. For a while he wouldn't eat until I put a second plate down. This is when I got more serious with the home cooking for him. I stopped the meds and he got over what ever was bothering him. I think he had a broken heart. I know he won't be here forever but I appreciate every day he is.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I got it this morning.
I'm not sure if the ingredients are ideal.
I'll be copying the chicken recipe.
It was about fifty bucks. I'm thinking it'd last Suki many months.
Hopefully she'll eat it.

Attachments

• 20230103_140723.jpg
    20230103_140723.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230103_140734.jpg
    20230103_140734.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I got it this morning.
I'm not sure if the ingredients are ideal.
I'll be copying the chicken recipe.
It was about fifty bucks. I'm thinking it'd last Suki many months.
Hopefully she'll eat it.
Update;
Amazing. Miss Suki seems to like (or at least not mind) the added flavor and smell of this stuff.
So far I've used just a trace of it on her food. Then warmed the food and mixed it in. It's mostly the consistency of flour. And smells to me like chicken bullion. But it DOES SAY "Chicken flavored".
The few bad reviews said that it smells horrible and their dog wouldn't touch it.
This has not been my experience.