Best Vegetables to Add to a Dogs Diet

EricW

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
Yes - scratch out avocado.

The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, and more serious signs in other animals due to a wide range in sensitivity across species. Birds, horses and rodents are especially sensitive to avocado toxicity.
all that (except fruit) is poisonous to humans as well if you eat it or burn it near you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is certainly a hot topic in some circles. Here is what I do: I use a good quality name brand kibble that has been through long term AAFCO approved feeding trials as a base. Purina ProPlan in my case. I can get it anywhere in the world and it is consistent. To that I add table scraps from whatever we are eating. If I don't have table scraps one day, they just get the kibble. Some days I have more leftovers than others. I give them just about anything we are eating except for sweets. I don't worry about nutritional deficits in any one area because the kibble makes up for that. They get a pretty good balance of all kinds of stuff overall. Salads, meats, pastas, rice, beans, veggies, potatoes, etc... They got some leftover chili the other day. Chicken noodle soup yesterday. Meat loaf and mashed taters before that. Nothing goes to waste here. The roach colonies get anything too far gone for the dogs.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i had friends telling me not to feed my dogs kibble as long as i can remember . i never saw a reason not to , and i fed commercial kibble until i had a dog couldn't eat it , 8yrs ago ...... she was prescribed tylosin and i was told she may need to take it long term , i recall "maybe forever" ......... i took her off commercial kibble that day and the problem was completely resolved within a week and never returned ....... i then just took all the dogs off kibble........ do your dogs get bones ? as far as vegetables , lightly steamed and crushed , just crushed, or put through a blender... i think it will aid in your dog getting the nutrients out of the vegetables ...... if you ever give your dogs carrots or corn , it's pretty obvious they come out the same as they went in ..... i think it has something to do with the length of a dogs digestive tract and the rate of digestion ....... do you give them vitamin supplements ?

i've used this , never heard anyone had anything but good to say about it ......
511OwG+-u+L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
i had friends telling me not to feed my dogs kibble as long as i can remember . i never saw a reason not to , and i fed commercial kibble until i had a dog couldn't eat it , 8yrs ago ...... she was prescribed tylosin and i was told she may need to take it long term , i recall "maybe forever" ......... i took her off commercial kibble that day and the problem was completely resolved within a week and never returned ....... i then just took all the dogs off kibble........ do your dogs get bones ? as far as vegetables , lightly steamed and crushed , just crushed, or put through a blender... i think it will aid in your dog getting the nutrients out of the vegetables ...... if you ever give your dogs carrots or corn , it's pretty obvious they come out the same as they went in ..... i think it has something to do with the length of a dogs digestive tract and the rate of digestion ....... do you give them vitamin supplements ?

i've used this , never heard anyone had anything but good to say about it ......
Interesting.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i've had a lot of dogs in my life , best guess would be somewhere around 60 , i fed commercial kibble for 90% of that time , i never saw any problems , never had a dog with an allergy , i've known raw feeders and homemade feeders the entire time , didn't see the difference in their dogs health and my dogs health .... 8yrs ago i had a dog that just couldn't handle commercial kibble , changed her to people food and the speed at which the issues resolved was so fast it left me with no doubt what the reason was ........ i just recently got a rescue dog with horrible skin issues , soft stools and a really bad smell to his skin .... he's been here maybe 3 months , he was given to me with taste of the wild kibble , i threw it out and never fed it to him .... his stools are now solid , the smell to his skin is gone , and his skin i believe is headed in the right direction , it was bad enough some spots required surgery ..... when these surgical sites are resolved i believe his issues are behind him ..... i now believe commercial kibble is fine unless it's not .......

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think commercially available kibble is good stuff and works fine for the vast majority of dogs; it makes up most of the diets of most of the dogs I've lived with for decades.

I supplement the kibble with some veggies and fruits and grains from time to time.

J

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm no expert. But I've always used kibble AND supplements of real food with dogs. One little hound refused to eat until I started giving him a little bit of scraps with his food. I actually wound up cooking him some oatmeal for breakfast along with my kids. The older people that lived around me kept saying hound dogs do better with scraps so I did more scraps than usual with that little guy. He did fine with it and ate his kibble too. With large breeds I supplemented with calcium rich foods like cottage cheese etc. I had a cocker spaniel that loved apple peelings. And yes dogs can have allergies possibly corn like me. Just try to find an animal kibble without corn. Corn is considered a low level toxin for rabbits but it's in all of their kibble. Even in the juvenile rabbit food. I only managed to find 2 without corn.🙂...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i've had a lot of dogs in my life , best guess would be somewhere around 60 , i fed commercial kibble for 90% of that time , i never saw any problems , never had a dog with an allergy , i've known raw feeders and homemade feeders the entire time , didn't see the difference in their dogs health and my dogs health .... 8yrs ago i had a dog that just couldn't handle commercial kibble , changed her to people food and the speed at which the issues resolved was so fast it left me with no doubt what the reason was ........ i just recently got a rescue dog with horrible skin issues , soft stools and a really bad smell to his skin .... he's been here maybe 3 months , he was given to me with taste of the wild kibble , i threw it out and never fed it to him .... his stools are now solid , the smell to his skin is gone , and his skin i believe is headed in the right direction , it was bad enough some spots required surgery ..... when these surgical sites are resolved i believe his issues are behind him ..... i now believe commercial kibble is fine unless it's not .......
You didn't say what you replaced the Taste of the Wild with. I've been feeding Misty Taste of the Wild all her life (about 6 or 7 years) and this year she's terribly itchy. I just started her on Linatone and she's not as itchy, but still itchy. I'm wondering if it's the food.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is certainly a hot topic in some circles. Here is what I do: I use a good quality name brand kibble that has been through long term AAFCO approved feeding trials as a base. Purina ProPlan in my case. I can get it anywhere in the world and it is consistent. To that I add table scraps from whatever we are eating. If I don't have table scraps one day, they just get the kibble. Some days I have more leftovers than others. I give them just about anything we are eating except for sweets. I don't worry about nutritional deficits in any one area because the kibble makes up for that. They get a pretty good balance of all kinds of stuff overall. Salads, meats, pastas, rice, beans, veggies, potatoes, etc... They got some leftover chili the other day. Chicken noodle soup yesterday. Meat loaf and mashed taters before that. Nothing goes to waste here. The roach colonies get anything too far gone for the dogs.
I was originally mixing in my freshly prepared meat, etc in with her old NUTRO ULTRA (It had been the only thing she'd eat. And she wasn't too thrilled about it.) She's inbred and has tooth issues. So it's canned food only. Within a few weeks, she would no longer eat the food with Nutro in it if it was more than say 10% Nutro. And I mean she'd go days without eating and I've bought every brand and type available at Petco.
My concern for her is nutrition. I've added a little rice, corn (Not much), carrots and super finely chopped broccoli in this batch tonight. With the ground turkey and ground chicken. No Nutro at all.
For snacks she only eats finely chopped chicken or real turkey.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

I wonder if a product like this is needed or if it's helpful at all

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wonder if a product like this is needed or if it's helpful at all
I have zero evidence based experience to comment from, but my wife specialized in dog nutrition for 15 years. She sold all the prescription diets to all the vets in the area, and it was her job to educate the vets on canine nutrition and how that related to the various ailments and various diets Purina sold. Of course the vets and people educating my wife were biased, as was my wife. It was their job to sell Purina foods. But we heard lots of horror stories from several sources, including the vets who treated the animals suffering from malnutrition due to deficiencies and imbalances in home made dog diets. People mean well, and it CAN be done correctly, but from what we saw, it usually wasn't done correctly, and the dogs suffered for it.

The point of my rambling is this: The product in the post from @mark1 seems like a good idea to me. Just like our reptiles and the supplements we use, it seems like the Pet Tabs would be an easy way to reduce the likelihood of nutrient deficiencies in a home made dog diet. I would not argue the point with anyone who had evidence to the contrary, but I would include something like that if I were to start making my own dog food.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have zero evidence based experience to comment from, but my wife specialized in dog nutrition for 15 years. She sold all the prescription diets to all the vets in the area, and it was her job to educate the vets on canine nutrition and how that related to the various ailments and various diets Purina sold. Of course the vets and people educating my wife were biased, as was my wife. It was their job to sell Purina foods. But we heard lots of horror stories from several sources, including the vets who treated the animals suffering from malnutrition due to deficiencies and imbalances in home made dog diets. People mean well, and it CAN be done correctly, but from what we saw, it usually wasn't done correctly, and the dogs suffered for it.

The point of my rambling is this: The product in the post from @mark1 seems like a good idea to me. Just like our reptiles and the supplements we use, it seems like the Pet Tabs would be an easy way to reduce the likelihood of nutrient deficiencies in a home made dog diet. I would not argue the point with anyone who had evidence to the contrary, but I would include something like that if I were to start making my own dog food.
I'll be ordering some dog supplements. It'll give me peace of mind.
It'll have to be a powder that I can mix in to her food.
I'll search Amazon.

Last edited:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You didn't say what you replaced the Taste of the Wild with. I've been feeding Misty Taste of the Wild all her life (about 6 or 7 years) and this year she's terribly itchy. I just started her on Linatone and she's not as itchy, but still itchy. I'm wondering if it's the food.
Back in the 80s I had a Doberman his name was Luther that had skin problems and a old country vet told me to feed him green beans and rice along with his other food. It worked, his skin problem disappeared. And over time didn't need to continue feeding them. Since then green beans and rice have always been my first addition to my dogs diet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Back in the 80s I had a Doberman his name was Luther that had skin problems and a old country vet told me to feed him green beans and rice along with his other food. It worked, his skin problem disappeared. And over time didn't need to continue feeding them. Since then green beans and rice have always been my first addition to my dogs diet.
Green beans and rice she WILL eat

Owllea

NE Kansas
www.balanceit.com

This website is resource to explore nutrition balance based on the foods your dog or cat likes, as well as get ratios for best nutrition balance with home cooked diets and recommend supplements to meet the deficits.
It is run by veterinary nutritionists that are also available to fine tune a diet to your pets medical needs: kidney disease, heart disease, etc. though, you do need a veterinary contact approve therapeutic diets.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
My process of fixing my dogs food. I cook most in an instant pot. The ground meats are cooked on the stove top either in burger form or chopped. In the insta pot I cook whatever meat I'm going to use. Beef and pork are cooked down like I am going to make barbecue. I save the broth and use it to cook the rice in. After the rice is done I empty the pot and steam the vegetables which are cut into small pieces and the meat which is also cut up. After everything is cooked I put it all in a large mixing bowl and use a electric hand mixer to blend it all together. All the organs, liver, heart and gizzards are cooked separately in the insta pot saving the broth for future use. I believe the organs are the most important part of their diet. The organs and ground meat are fed separately from the mixed together items. They also get hot dogs, Rocket loves turkey dogs. Dry food is always out for them but they don't eat it every day.