Best way to get a tort used to handling?

CXR

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL.
I have a russian and he's going on 3 years old and I've (mistakenly) never tried to get him used to handling, but better late than never. I've tried hand feeding him but he wouldn't budge, and that's the only way I know to get him used to handling, so I figured I'd ask the great people at TFO :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort hates being handled, but he will come to me if I have food - sometimes!!
He will also let me stroke his leg while he is relaxing in his warm soak.
So I think it's just a case of being patient.

Chasen

Galveston
I think individual personality will be a contributing factor. Mine doesn't pull in when I pick him up and it may be from the daily soaks that requires me to handle him.

Ohio
When I give my babies a bath, I try and hold each one for a period and just rub their leg and head scales while always supporting their bellies.
They seem to be most distressed when their legs and stomach are not touching anything.
My babies seem to enjoy the heat from my hands, but they do like to feel surrounded by something (like they are burrowed), so i usually put them in the palm of one hand and then place my other hand over their shell and let their head peek out. Then i carry them around, like Yvonne was saying.
Keep in mind that the climate outside their enclosure might be too cold, like it is here in Ohio, so i only handle them for 20 min periods so they don't get too cold.
Also, I usually handle them during/after their bath because they usually poop in the bath, and because i feed them right after as well. Should give them something to look forward to while they are being inspected by a curious keeper.
Not sure how a 3 year old will react, but just conveying what I have discovered about testudos.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Whenever I carry Chug I hold him firmly against my chest. He is much calmer with all 4 feet against something, even me. He may wiggle a bit to get down, but he does not seem to be afraid at all. Of course he only weighs 5 lbs. He has never peed or pooped on me in this position. If he's wet, I wrap a towel around him so he's not slippery.
One hand wrapped around him, and one hand to steady myself on steps, etc.

Pangolin123

UK
I talk to mine before I pick him up, so he knows I'm there. If he hears me come into a room and start blathering in my baby voice he knows I'm going to go over, probably with food, so he comes marching out of his house to greet me. I then dangle over his tort table making all sorts of nonsensical jibberings and asking him if he's been a good boy.
I would never walk over silently and just pick him up, he'd be like GOOD GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING. Let him know you're coming and he won't be so alarmed.

Put your hand in the enclosure for a little bit every day so he can see it isn't something thats going to bite him (put food in your hand, even better, he will associate you eventually with delicious nosh). My tort was shy when we first got him but now I just squee some garbage at him and start throwing raddichio around and he'll climb right up onto my hand demanding more. He likes his head rubs but he goes batsh*t if you try to rub his bum or back legs (like when he squits a cheeky poop out AFTER we've bathed him and we're trying to make sure it doesn't stick to his freshly washed legs) - so you'll just need to learn what he likes and give him his space if he's sulky.

When you hold him, make sure all four of his feet are supported (if you pick them up and hold them by the shell with no support they will superman their legs and pee all over you, they really don't like it). If you want him to get used to you let him clamber over you a bit, talking to him all the while so he knows you're there and you're not just a big weird moving mountain. Mine will walk up and down my legs, searching for the rocket he knows I will eventually give him.

Be prepared to get pooped on. It happens.

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
I have a russian and he's going on 3 years old and I've (mistakenly) never tried to get him used to handling, but better late than never. I've tried hand feeding him but he wouldn't budge, and that's the only way I know to get him used to handling, so I figured I'd ask the great people at TFO :)
The best way I have found is to just give a very little food at a time. If you have the time to just give, throughout the day, a couple of bites and sit next to the food. When he come near start to touch back, head, etc. Once he is used to you being & petting him, and comes when he see's you, start picking him up - if he start kicking or trying to get away - put him down and do not put feed at that time. Go back to him later and do the same until he is comfortable with you picking up. Once he realizes he will not be fed until he lets you pick him up. It's a slow method, but you want him to come to you and "wants" to be handled.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sister carries them (one at a time) around with her as she goes through her daily chores. Best to also carry it on a towel because chances are good it will pee or poop on you.
I always think of Maggie when people ask the question on this thread... :)

Tortoise MasterMan

Utah
I always keep my tortoise on my lap or next to me when I am reading or using the computer, sometimes for hours. She didn't much pulled away after a little while