Best way to keep bath water warm

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
Hello,

Just as the subject states, I'd like to know what methods others are successfully using to keep soaking water warm.

Currently, my soaks are some 30 minutes. In that time, I have to swap out the water every 5-7 minutes because it gets too cold for my liking.

I'm sure there are some clever methods being used.

I'm using a Tupperware about 10×12"

Thanks

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Do you put the tub back inside the enclosure? I put mine inside the enclosure close to the basking light and never have to change the water unless its full of poop

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Do you put the tub back inside the enclosure? I put mine inside the enclosure close to the basking light and never have to change the water unless its full of poop

I do not do this.

I'm not too fond of "trapping" the tortoise under the light, but I can try this under supervision.

Thanks

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I do not do this.

I'm not too fond of "trapping" the tortoise under the light, but I can try this under supervision.

Thanks
It's not trapping under the light, you don't put it directly under the light either. It's keeps the tortoise warm so the outside air mixed with the water when it starts getting cold doesn't get the tortoise sick. This way everything stays warm and I don't understand why you would need to supervise things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487565813.786997.jpg I do mine in our unused tub. For some reason we all use the tub and shower downstairs, this one has hand helf shower nozzle and i use it for my cats and now my babies. I used to use plastic container and they hated it. They were freaking out. I know people say that all that sloshing around makes them poop. Frankly, it was pretty stressful for me to watch them do that. I know, I am a fairly new tort grandma and haven't grown that "don't worry" attitude yet. Mine poop up storm in their bath and for that reason I have to fish the poo out (i know! Gross, right?!) and change the water 2-3 times which amounts to about 20-30 min of bathtime. I bring my gun thermometer to the bath and check the water temp which they seem to like most when it's about human body temp (like 96-97) they just chill, munch on their fresh leave or piece of fruit i put in there for them. In my house bath time is their spa time. About once a week they get their coco oil massage after a bath which includes full body exam under good light. So back to your question I just change my water couple times and since my "container" is big, the water doesn't cool down that fast. In a winter I do run heater in the bathroom which keeps the air at 80F which also helps. Heat lamp is good (i don't use one) in big tub where they can get away from the heat. In small like yours, I wouldn't do it either. I heard of some folks putting heating pad on low setting under the container... i think the bottomline is: do whatever you want/find practical for you and your tort, as long as you are there to supervise. I have heard of baby torts literally cooked do to malfunctioning equipment. Human senses to me are the best systems to keep our pets safe

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
View attachment 200257 I do mine in our unused tub. For some reason we all use the tub and shower downstairs, this one has hand helf shower nozzle and i use it for my cats and now my babies. I used to use plastic container and they hated it. They were freaking out. I know people say that all that sloshing around makes them poop. Frankly, it was pretty stressful for me to watch them do that. I know, I am a fairly new tort grandma and haven't grown that "don't worry" attitude yet. Mine poop up storm in their bath and for that reason I have to fish the poo out (i know! Gross, right?!) and change the water 2-3 times which amounts to about 20-30 min of bathtime. I bring my gun thermometer to the bath and check the water temp which they seem to like most when it's about human body temp (like 96-97) they just chill, munch on their fresh leave or piece of fruit i put in there for them. In my house bath time is their spa time. About once a week they get their coco oil massage after a bath which includes full body exam under good light. So back to your question I just change my water couple times and since my "container" is big, the water doesn't cool down that fast. In a winter I do run heater in the bathroom which keeps the air at 80F which also helps. Heat lamp is good (i don't use one) in big tub where they can get away from the heat. In small like yours, I wouldn't do it either. I heard of some folks putting heating pad on low setting under the container... i think the bottomline is: do whatever you want/find practical for you and your tort, as long as you are there to supervise. I have heard of baby torts literally cooked do to malfunctioning equipment. Human senses to me are the best systems to keep our pets safe
I do this with my larger torts because you can put more water in with them and it stays warmer much longer but with one that's hatchling size (like his) or small juvenile, you can't put much water in and it gets cold quickly

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I do this with my larger torts because you can put more water in with them and it stays warmer much longer but with one that's hatchling size (like his) or small juvenile, you can't put much water in and it gets cold quickly
Agreed, and that's why we have a little routine going. 1) fill just the very bottom of the tub with HOT water and let it sit which after few minutes warms the tub up , 2) then put more water in of the bath temp and when good enough to bathe 3) bring the babies in. Btw I just call them "babies" but they will be 2 yrs old in June:) Tucker is 6.5" almost 1.5 lbs and Shellie 7.5" SCL and over 2 lbs. This bath tub has an incline and when the shallow side has enough water for the "normal tort soak", the depth on the drain side is deep enough for them to be stretching their necks some to keep their nostrils above water level. I usually find both of them on that deep end. I also stay close by during their bath. It was lot of work when we did it daily first 18 months, now, only every other day: it's a breeze!

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Agreed, and that's why we have a little routine going. 1) fill just the very bottom of the tub with HOT water and let it sit which after few minutes warms the tub up , 2) then put more water in of the bath temp and when good enough to bathe 3) bring the babies in. Btw I just call them "babies" but they will be 2 yrs old in June:) I also do something I'm not recommending for others to do. This bath tub has an incline and when the shallow side has enough water for the "normal tort soak", the depth on the drain side is deep enough for them to be stretching their necks some to keep their nostrils above water level. I usually find both of them on that deep end. I also stay close by during their bath. It was lot of work when we did it daily first 18 months, now, only every other day: it's a breeze!
Mine has the incline and mine do the same in the deep end, Plus they walk under the water while its running.