best way to preserve cactus and mushrooms

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
the title say's it all what is the best way to preserve cactus and mushrooms? oh and grape vine leaves? thanks for all reply's in advance

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
mmmmm, mushrooms.....deep fried, with a bucket o ranch....mmmmmm...

The best way I can think of to store these items....within the hungry mouth of a tortoise....heehee, so, you can see I am no help on any suggestions, perhaps just grow them yourself in a grow room (artificial lights/heating and such)...

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Mush & grape leaves can be dehydrated. Mush can be reconstituted in water. Grape leaves you can crush into flakes and mix in with fresh greens--e.g. wet lettuce leaves, so it'll stick--for added nutrition. But, there's a chance your tort might not like dry leaves.

I'm not sure about the cactus. I know you can get frozen pads, but I'm not sure if they'd have the same consistency. I'm thinking they'd get mushy, maybe?

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
mmmmm, mushrooms.....deep fried, with a bucket o ranch....mmmmmm...

The best way I can think of to store these items....within the hungry mouth of a tortoise....heehee, so, you can see I am no help on any suggestions, perhaps just grow them yourself in a grow room (artificial lights/heating and such)...
Ranch?! That's a federal crime! LOL!

In keeping with the topic... You could also grow mushroom in a box. There are kits available online.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I keep mushrooms in the bottom of the fridge just above freezing, I also found that where you get them from makes a difference, For me the best and longest lasting rooms come from a wal mart in King George Co, but only in the 16 oz size. I can't explain it but that is the way it is. So if your mushrooms are going bad to fast, try getting them some place different. As for cactus I store the young new growth pads in the refrigerator in water in sealed containers, and the older pads in the shade, sometimes between pieces of paper just about anywhere inside or outside.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
How is that possible? They are a Fun gi.....lol :p

they come off slimey to me now matter how they're cooked lol

all tho i will admit my aunt has a recipe for what she call's bratwurst burger's she put's mushrooms in the middle along with swiss cheese they're to die for lol

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
For leaves I dry them by letting them sit in a shallow box, like what a case of cat food comes in or the boxes that hold four six packs of beverages. I store these in brown paper bags with a bit of uncooked rice, used as a dessicant. Storing the dried leaves in plastic bags seems to always find the one leaf not all the way dry getting mold and ruining the others.

I have also dried several hibiscus and squash blossoms this way, now stored the same way as well.

For meatier things like cactus pad or mushrooms I got nothing for you as a tried and used method. You can buy dried mushrooms in a a great variety and huge bags as some grocery stores year round. If your tortoises will take dried mushrooms then maybe you don't have to worry about drying them yourself. Like someone else suggested, cactus pads store well for a long time, maybe no need to dry them at all.