Big and small sulcatas not getting along

lucky

5 Year Member
Hi! I have a problem here, I have a big and small sulcata, and it seems like the big one ( Lucky <3) doesn't like the small one ( Happy :D) alot. When I put them together, Happy waddles across to meet Lucky, but Lucky kinda charges toward Happy. I put Happy away because I'm kinda scared that Lucky might bite his head off -_-

I love them both the same and I hope that there are ways to get them to get along better. Please help!

By the way, Lucky is 5 years old and Happy is about 8 monthsImageUploadedByTortForum1394701390.821233.jpg

Left: Lucky
Right: Happy

Last edited by a moderator:

Wartortle

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (Simi Valley)
I'd just keep them separated. Tortoises aren't exactly like cats or dogs, and they can't be trained to enjoy another tortoise's company. If they get along, they get along. But most of the time, and you might hear this a lot from other members, they should be housed in separate enclosures. Definitely because Lucky is much much much bigger than Happy. At this point, Lucky should probably be outside living on his/her own, and Happy should be living happily in her humid enclosure indoors until the time comes. Maybe in a few years you'll have a different experience, but I'd definitely separate them until that time :D They both look great though.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
You really need to separate them and the reason is very obvious.

Then you will have two very happy Sulcata.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What you are seeing is dominance and bullying. This is why we always tell people that tortoises should be housed alone or if you have to have more then one, then in groups in very large enclosures, like out side. One good ramming from your big one onto the little one could cause death. Don't put them together.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yep, separate them right away. Sulcata are aggressive by nature and don't need or want company. There is an unless here...if you have a lot and I mean a lot of room with sight breaks and different hides you might stand a chance. I know Sulcata keepers who have groups or herds of Sulcata and in my opinion the key is enough room for them all to get away from each other...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice looking tortoises. Sorry. Looks like you will have to keep them separate. Once they are older and you find out the sexes, you might be able to assemble a nice group, but pairs almost never work.