Big-box store mulch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbirt27

5 Year Member
Hi all -
I have recently built and now am trying to fill a larger indoor enclosure for my RF tort. I remember reading that folks have found cypress mulch in bulk at big box stores like Home Depot or Lowe for a good price, but when I go look all I find is colored mulch. Is that safe for the tort? Or is there a brand I can request?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would not use a colored mulch...the dyes are likely not so great. I do not find mulch a good substrate---so I use the finely processed peat moss that you can pick up for like 10.00 dollars at Lowes...and it is free of added junk....

Others will likely be here to give you their input...

kbirt27

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would not use a colored mulch...the dyes are likely not so great. I do not find mulch a good substrate---so I use the finely processed peat moss that you can pick up for like 10.00 dollars at Lowes...and it is free of added junk....

Thanks ascott. I will look into peat moss. I figured the dyes or bleaches would be a problem and the mulch is expensive in large quantities at pet stores. Does peat moss hold humidity as well as the mulch?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
kbirt27 said:
ascott said:

Thanks ascott. I will look into peat moss. I figured the dyes or bleaches would be a problem and the mulch is expensive in large quantities at pet stores. Does peat moss hold humidity as well as the mulch?

Thats exactly what I use and it comes in a green and white huge bag from lowes

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Cypress mulch availability varies based on where you live.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use some stuff called "Pathway Bark" from Lowes. Its basically orchid bark. Make sure you get the fine stuff.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does peat moss hold humidity as well as the mulch?

Yes, it is a great water retainer....however, just know that the first time you wet/soak it down, the water rolls and floats across the top and seems to take FOREVER to soak in....but be patient because once it does soak in...it retains the moisture and then each and every time you wet it --the water is taken in readily and easily....and can hold ALOT of it....

Here is the one I like;

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/premier-30-cu-ft-peat-moss-70976040.html#.USrgVBU4PSE

kbirt27

5 Year Member
Thanks, all! This gives me good options to try. I have been piecing together a new much bigger indoor enclosure (from a rubber tub to approx 27 sq ft) and am excited to finally start filling it and getting closer to moving the little guy in.

Status
Not open for further replies.