Big Boy had me a little worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Big boy came out of hibernation last week. He hasn’t eaten or drank anything and the weather turned cold, so I brought him in the house and set him up in his little Rubbermaid tote which is way too small for such a large tort. I always worry when they come out of hibernation and are not interested in drinking let alone eating. Now I have been soaking him every evening since he came out of hibernation. But he has refused to drink. I even ran water over his back (which will sometimes stimulate them to drink) no luck. He is under weight and I was getting worried so yesterday evening was nice and I took him outside to roam for a while. He acted a bit interested in 1 mallow leaf, but no luck. So today I tried taking him back outside and gave him two dandelion flowers which he ate, success Hooray! :D When I turned on the sprinklers he headed right for them. When they began to puddle these are the shots that I got of him.

Big Boys first drink after hibernation.
P3250044.jpg

His Close up
P3250037.jpg

Leaving the wet area. Guess he’s done.
P3250078.jpg

He spent about 20 minutes drinking and just walking around in the sprinklers. I think we are on the right road now and I can finally breath.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
He is really cute with his face buried in the water.

Congrats on getting him to eat.

Evan

M

Maggie Cummings

Just really great pictures! I so love the drinking shot.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
You were probably giving him clean water and he wanted it a little muddy. :p He is really good looking glad things are going better with him. Candy

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yeah, I guess you just can't beat the taste of muddy water. :) Thanks to all for the nice comments. He's one of my favs and now we will start to fatten him up a bit.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm glad he decided to drink. I turn on the sprinklers and mine runs the other way :) He is beautiful, keep up the great work.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Glad he's doing well Robyn. I love his eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.