Big Bubba Cummings

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I just wanted to pay tribute to my Big Bubba because it was one year ago today that I killed him. I loved him something huge and I miss him something awful. He was the co-driver in my semi truck for the whole time I drove. He walked on a leash, so he walked on the ground in every state in the Continental United States. In a crowded truck stop he could find his own truck about 80% of the time even when it was parked with other white trucks. He didn't like the wind in Wyoming, he was attacked by geese in a rest stop in Kansas and that made him afraid of birds all his life. That was funny because he weighed 32 pounds for most of his life. He was a big tough grumpy guy. He was a great companion and we had a lot of fun traveling the US together. He took off to chase some prairie dogs in Colorado and ended up getting chased himself. That made me laugh really hard when he came running back to his truck with a 40 pound prairie dog hard on his butt. He didn't like anybody but me. He wouldn't let the border guards use dogs to search his truck for aliens. He was only 16 when he died and if I had listened to my instinct he would still be alive. I miss him every day still and I just wanted to say how much I loved him...

Big Bubba Cummings
November 16, 1994 July 31, 2009
Rest In Peace

332pkt2.jpg

2hmlo47.jpg

This is Big Bubba and Bob when I first got him...

fu3qjr.jpg

He liked to lay on his back...

33lgw0w.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Awww Maggie, today must be a very sad day for you :(. Already one year!!! Time flies it seems like it was 2 or 3 months ago but not more than that. Big Bubba was a beautiful cat and I am sure he still looking over you from cats Heaven. That was a beautiful tribute! Please, stop saying that you killed him, it did not happen like that, he was very sick and you had no choice. You and Big Bubba are in my thoughts.

M

Maggie Cummings

Isa...That's the problem, he was NOT very sick. He had a cold and his nose was plugged up and the Vet had me give him Albuteral which exploded his lungs. After the first treatment I should have stopped. I called the Vet and told her he was now panting and acting anxious and she said he was just spoiled and he should get the treatment. But I knew she was wrong and but I didn't listen to my instinct and I killed him. I will NEVER ignore my instinct again...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Maggie, you trusted you vet, maybe the fisrt shot he received would have been too much anyway. It is true that it is important to trust our instinct but how can you blame yourself. I am sure that we would have done the same thing, you wanted his good and you wanted him to be healty. Big Buba was very lucky to have a best friend like you :). What did the vet tell you when you tell her what happened?

M

Maggie Cummings

Isa said:
Maggie, you trusted you vet, maybe the fisrt shot he received would have been too much anyway. It is true that it is important to trust our instinct but how can you blame yourself. I am sure that we would have done the same thing, you wanted his good and you wanted him to be healty. Big Buba was very lucky to have a best friend like you :). What did the vet tell you when you tell her what happened?

She just said she was "sorry". It wasn't a shot, I had to block off the openings of a smaller cat carrier and force air into the carrier, Albuteral was in the air. It's what asthmatics use when they can't breathe, she said there wasn't anyway for her to know his lungs couldn't take it. Crap, he was only 16, that's what bothers me the most.
She's the only exotics vet in the area and I stayed away from her for a year but have a sick turtle and had to go back. Then she asked if I was still mad at her....YA THINK???

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
OMG That is what she said, It is very frustrating! She should have been more than sorry, it is not like you did not call her to let her know the symptoms :(

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
One of the problems with Albuterol (proventil, ventolin) is that it does have a (rare) side effect for those smaller than adults. as a respiratory therapist I've been in the ER giving back-to-back therapy to kids with asthma, only to have some of them almost running on the ceiling because of the "overdose" (and I hate to use that word, we do what we have to do to open lungs up). Other newer medications don't have near the problem, but of course, cost more..

I'm sorry for your loss Maggie. I'd be pi$$ed at the vet too, and would be looking hard for a replacement. Our beloved bear had problems misdiagnosed by our previous vet (we were told to "go home and give her a good life").. the next vet picked the problem right up. Medication followed and bear lasted for more years than we could ever have hoped.

I grieve with you your loss -

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That brought tears to my eyes. So sorry about poor old Bubba, Maggie.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
He's gorgeous. He looks just like my Big Fella did. I hope that someday you stop feeling so guilty. That's the worst feeling ever.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Very sad, but Maggie it seems like you blame yourself for too many thing that are not your fault. You choose to listen to a vet~someone that went to school for many years to learn animal health care. Probably mostly that of dogs and cats. The vet was wrong about your cat. That is sad, but it is not your fault. You did not kill your cat. It is still sad when we reach those time markers when a loved one has passed. And it is easy to think about the woulda, coulda, shouldas but it doesn't bring then back just makes you feel bad. Maybe you need a day to just let yourself feel bad.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I just got back from our cabin and saw this thread...

What a majestic personage! Big Bubba clearly lived up to his name. How proud you must have been to have such a character by your side during your travels, keeping you company and providing such entertaining stories to remember and tell later.

Think of how much he loved you and was happy to be your best friend, and in a cat with that much intelligence and "human" instinct, he knew in his heart that you did everything you could to keep him with you, and he has forgiven you any and all possible mistakes you made. I am sure his benevolent spirit is with you still, watching over and loving you for your care and kindness...bonds like that are never broken, Maggie!

Big Bubba will always be a part of you, love and remembrance are what make souls immortal.

Status
Not open for further replies.