Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I need some 3'x6' big plastic tubs. I'm going to build a triple or quadruple decker tortoise table and I'd really like to find some bigs tubs to slide into a framework instead of messing with plastic liners and staples. Since I'm now a huge fan of humidity, it will be quite wet.

Anyone know where to find plastic tubs this size?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, I'm not going to be the one breathing down your neck. ;)

I have complete faith that you'll post the photos once the project is complete. You're addicted to all the attention and compliments you get here...admit it! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dreadyA said:
so, hows the triple/quad decker tort table coming along?

I'm still waiting for the Tuff Tub people to get back to me with a price. I think they will be the cheapest and I like their tubs the best anyway. Customer service does not seem to be their strong point.

Stephanie Logan said:
Well, I'm not going to be the one breathing down your neck. ;)

I have complete faith that you'll post the photos once the project is complete. You're addicted to all the attention and compliments you get here...admit it! :p

I can't put my finger on exactly what part is so addictive, but it most certainly is. I thinks its just enthralling that there are so many people all in one place that are as obsessed with chelonians as I am.

Most of my stuff is built to be practical and functional, so when its done, it won't be very pretty. It will be sturdy and functional, though. Don't worry. I'll still post the photos for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a Tuff Tub that I bought at a local feed store. I keep my rescued RES in it. Its a great product. Have you gone around to the local feed dealers to see if they have what you need?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I love the idea of putting the tub inside of the enclosure so you don't have to mess with a liner. Smart!
Can't wait to see pics :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ChiKat said:
I love the idea of putting the tub inside of the enclosure so you don't have to mess with a liner. Smart!

The tub won't be inside the enclosure. The tub will BE the enclosure. I'm going to build a rack out of two by fours to hold the three tubs. I'm trying to get the tubs right now, but everyone in the supply chain is making it difficult. Tuff tubs has 60x36x12" tubs for about $90, but I'm getting the run-around from everybody.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Tom said:
ChiKat said:

The tub won't be inside the enclosure. The tub will BE the enclosure. I'm going to build a rack out of two by fours to hold the three tubs. I'm trying to get the tubs right now, but everyone in the supply chain is making it difficult. Tuff tubs has 60x36x12" tubs for about $90, but I'm getting the run-around from everybody.

Just kidding...we'll pretend I didn't say that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Finally got things sorted out today. I'll be picking up the tubs tomorrow afternoon. I went ahead and bought three extra since they were so hard to get and half the price of the other two I was looking at. 60x36x12" for just under a hundred bucks each. Once I get them, I'll get some measurements and go get the lumber. I'll post you some pics of the building process and the finished product.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds exactly like what we did. We have four stands like that.

Excuse the messy shot, but this is the only picture I have that even sorta shows what we did. The white spot on the side, is where they glued the price to it...would have cleaned it, if I knew I was gonna be showing this to folks. :(Under the tub you can see we made each shelf with several support beams, rather then a solid shelf. We used 2 by 4s for all of it (to hold any possible weight). We also used heavy duty coasters, so we could easily move them around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Got the tubs today. Didn't have the camera for pics, but you can see them here:
http://www.tufftubs.com/htdocs/mixingtub.htm

The sides on the far ends are pretty slanted, reducing the "footprint" of floor space. It should still be around 12-13 sq. ft. of floor space. Plenty of room for hatchlings, which is what I intend to put in it. If my 7 sulcata eggs are not fertile, my friend is going to give me a handful of his sulcata eggs to hatch out. Then, I'll be able to keep them super humid, literally from the day they hatch and see how smooth they grow up. Either way I'm getting closer to answering the pyramiding question. At least for myself.

Jacqui, thanks for the caster idea. I hadn't thought of that, but its a great idea. I will definitely be incorporating that into the design. Man, I love this forum!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
The sides on the far ends are pretty slanted, reducing the "footprint" of floor space.

That's why we went with the sheep stock tanks. Plus we can either have two small ones on one shelf or one large one. High enough sides nobody can climb out, yet not too deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.