big red foot vs. little red foot

Mrs.Burlingame

Hi there I have a baby red foot and I just got a sulcata he/she is about the size of a pop can. any way my local pet store has a bigger red foot a little bigger than my sulcata. I didn't know if I should trade my baby for a more established redfoot? any responses would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
your not housing the red foot and sulcata together are you? i personally like having a baby i like watching him grow

Mrs.Burlingame

I am since they are babies. I've heard that this is ok as long as its not a long term thing.

Mrs.Burlingame

I love how big the sulcatas get. I just don't know what other types of torts that have a great personality of a sulcata. my baby red foot is nice don't get me wrong but he/she seems like it doesn't like to come out. My sulcata you can't pay enough to get her out of the cage. Any other torts ideas ??

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
they both carry different pathogens inside them that can make the other sick or die it doesn't matter what age they alway's have them inside them and sulcata's and red foot's come from different area's mixing species is never advised plus sulcata's are solo torts they don't need a friend nor want one they they will bully one another

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
my idea would be to separate them the red foot is probably being bullied and tortoises in general don't really care for being handled there more of a observation animal i mean sure once they get big enough sooner or later your going to have to pick them up but it's generally best to pick them up when its in there best interested not to over handle torts can become stressed by handling and stress can lead to a whole number of problems i only ever handle my tort to soak,show where food is if i moved feeding area and he's not looking, measure and weigh that's it

Mrs.Burlingame

thats good to know. I didn't know that at all... my sulcata doesn't seem to mind at all my holding him/her when I come over to the glass and open it here comes the sulcata. to greet me.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I think you should stick with the baby RF. HE is already yours, and you'll know him longer and get to watch him grow if you keep him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The bigger RF might be just as shy as your baby is. Keep him. He's already growing used to his new quarters and it would be stressful on him to have to go to a different place.

1028762jld543t69m.gif