Big tort likes to camp out

Ellie Mae

My 60 lb.er free ranges on my acre and a half fenced property. He has a very nice heated and insulated house he sleeps in in the winter, but in the summer he likes to camp out in an outbuilding that I can close him in securely. The last few nights he has chosen to sleep there, and though the daytime temps are high 70's or even 80's, the night temps drop to 50. He does this for a few nights, and then goes back to his heated apartment. I'd rather let him make his own decisions, mainly because I don't care to carry him the rather long distance back to his house. I would if it got colder. Think we can get away with this from time to time?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
My 60 lb.er free ranges on my acre and a half fenced property. I'd rather let him make his own decisions, mainly because I don't want to carry him the rather long distance back to his house. I would if it got colder. Think we can get away with this from time to time?
No on leaving him out. 50° is just too cool for this tropical desert specie of tortoise. Problem solver here for you would be for you to stop providing an opportunity for him to get inside the wrong shed. Be tough though cause you’re doing it to keep your baby healthy.

Ellie Mae

What's so sad is how many people in my area (SoCal) say they keep their Sulcatas out all winter for years, "no problem, just throw a blanket over them when it gets cold". I try my best to educate them but......