Birds of Paradise Leaves?

Gotro17

Location (City and/or State)
California
We have 3 huge birds of paradise on our property... Does anyone know if they can be a good food source for leopards? They are smack where we plan on building our permanent enclosure and I was going to tear them out. If the tortoises can eat them I will keep at least one probably. @Markw84

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would not allow a tortoise access to Bird of Paradise. there are actually 3 different Genus of plants called Bird of Paradise. It is considered toxic. The Caesalpinia and Poinciana are most toxic, the Strelitzia less so but still considered toxic by some sources. You probably have the Strelitzia. That one is not listed by the CA poison control as toxic as they only list the other two.

Since with the other types, it is not just oxalates but a toxicity that creates nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, etc in other animals, I would not want a tortoise eating it. Maybe someone else know something specifially about the Strelitzia???

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've always read and understood bird of paradise to be toxic.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
When I moved years ago I had a nandina bush that had to be 20 years old. It took years to get it completely out of my yard