Birds

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It's cold with below freezing temperatures in areas of the US that don't normally have freezing temperatures. Birds need water to drink during times like this. It usually freezes here at some point every winter so along with bird food I have fresh water out for the birds too. With the temperatures some are experiencing now what you put out may refreeze quickly so change it a couple times a day if you decide to help the birds through this unusual winter weather.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey Len, yep! I made a fresh batch of suet cakes this morning packed with sunflower seeds, crushed & whole raw peanuts, oats, quinoa & peanut butter. Have topped up our bird bath a few times, it keeps freezing solid. Saw a flock of Blue Jays enjoying fresh drink(s).

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I only dared to put seed out today. It's still pretty windy and I had no choice and went ice skating when I stepped out of the front door. But I'll try to get some water out tomorrow for them. I hated not being able to even see the birds yesterday because of my frozen solid windows let alone try to step outside. The wind is crazy but slowing. It's 12°f so really improved from yesterday.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Back in the mid 70s while I was living in Palmetto FL I was amazed at the number of parakeets everywhere and how noisy they were. Most were green in color but every now and then a blue one would be with them. Are they still there in large numbers?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Back in the mid 70s while I was living in Palmetto FL I was amazed at the number of parakeets everywhere and how noisy they were. Most were green in color but every now and then a blue one would be with them. Are they still there in large numbers?
I saw an actual flock of them at Everglades Holiday park a few years back eating seeds that someone had dumped out in the parking lot.
But other than that I've only encountered a few single individuals. Always with other birds of a different species.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I saw an actual flock of them ... Always with other birds of a different species.
It's funny you say this.
My green budgie is flighted and escaped one day. He's indoor recall trained and target trained (a MUST for any flighted parrot) so we were confident we'd get him to come back. He flew up into a neighbor's huge pine tree and happily tweeted a bit. We pulled out the target stick and called him down. He flew down to us right away but halfway through his dissent a gust of wind blew and took him around the tree and past the house. We lost sight of him...for 8 hours we called, searched, looked. Nothing. I was confident that if we saw him again, he'd fly down to us because we trained for this every day (still do). But if I couldn't find him and he couldn't see us, how would I target him?
Anyway, 8 hours later my son spotted him with a pair of binoculars while walking the neighborhood. He was in a different tree, about a block away, hanging out with a flock of wild birds. The sun was setting and flock was roosting. There he was, preening and happily bouncing around with these other birds like he belonged with them.
We ran over with our target stick, called him and he flew down to us. After targeting him into the carrier, I cried like crazy!! But to this day, I can still picture him hanging out with the wild birds that evening. He was thrilled to be with the strangers. To read that you see budgies with other species popped that image right back into my mind!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's funny you say this.
My green budgie is flighted and escaped one day. He's indoor recall trained and target trained (a MUST for any flighted parrot) so we were confident we'd get him to come back. He flew up into a neighbor's huge pine tree and happily tweeted a bit. We pulled out the target stick and called him down. He flew down to us right away but halfway through his dissent a gust of wind blew and took him around the tree and past the house. We lost sight of him...for 8 hours we called, searched, looked. Nothing. I was confident that if we saw him again, he'd fly down to us because we trained for this every day (still do). But if I couldn't find him and he couldn't see us, how would I target him?
Anyway, 8 hours later my son spotted him with a pair of binoculars while walking the neighborhood. He was in a different tree, about a block away, hanging out with a flock of wild birds. The sun was setting and flock was roosting. There he was, preening and happily bouncing around with these other birds like he belonged with them.
We ran over with our target stick, called him and he flew down to us. After targeting him into the carrier, I cried like crazy!! But to this day, I can still picture him hanging out with the wild birds that evening. He was thrilled to be with the strangers. To read that you see budgies with other species popped that image right back into my mind!!
They seem to seek out groups.
A strong flocking behavior.
I have no way if knowing if the ones I see have recently escaped or if they've been flying wild for years. I'm not sure how well a small and brightly colored single bird would do as far as predators.
The flock may have been from a breeder losing his or her birds in a storm. Or maybe it was a successful breeding population.
I CAN safely say that there were at least 150 of them. Mostly green and yellow. And it seemed to be 100% parakeets

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
They seem to seek out groups.
A strong flocking behavior.
I have no way if knowing if the ones I see have recently escaped or if they've been flying wild for years. I'm not sure how well a small and brightly colored single bird would do as far as predators.
The flock may have been from a breeder losing his or her birds in a storm. Or maybe it was a successful breeding population.
I CAN safely say that there were at least 150 of them. Mostly green and yellow. And it seemed to be 100% parakeets

Monk parakeets?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Monk parakeets?
The little ones from Australia that you see most often sold at pet stores is what I was referring to. But I see other types of parrot type birds. Probably most of them are also non native.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110_201821_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110_201821_Samsung Internet.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: