Bit the bullet and got another tort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
DSC03017.jpg

Here's Olivia, shipped in perhaps the coldest weather we have had in years. Not the greatest timing, but she seemed to be packed well and after soaking decided she need some refreshments. She is a beauty, and hopefully my Jack will fall in love!! I offered her some Mazuri, and some salad. Guess what went first?? I just couldn't resist when I saw Tort451 advertising a RF. that's it!! I am done!!! Very strange to have a RF with no pyramiding!! The other 2 are so bad, I have kinda gotten used to the look..
Na

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Jack and Olivia. Sounds like a sweet loving couple. I hope they fulfill all your expectations. How old is your new addition?

Congratulations!;)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Odds are it is a wild caught tortoise. Make sure to quarentene the animal for a month or two and slam it with metronidozole and fenbendozole for about a week or two.

Wild caught RFs are notorious for carrying protozoa and worms.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hey thanks all, I have had Jack for a number of years(8 or more) and Louise for about 6, we added Petey a couple years ago,( a sort of rescue) and now we added a new one, Olivia. I am not really looking to raise them, I know it's not just put them together and volia!!! I just love them and when I saw tort 571 was selling one I said hey, let me look. Bad mistake.
EJ, what makes you say WC? Shes 4.5 lbs.(Seems very 'light' to me'.) I will check a stool, but some of those parasites are hard to spot. I have no problem with prophylacticly doing it. Especially of someone suspects WC. I have both Flagyl and panacur here. Doses always vary, but whats your take, if you don't mind, for what is safe, but effective.
Yes Terry, I am wondering how Louise will react, she took well to Petey. But 3???? I am not spreading it around though..
Na

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
While the photo is really tiny it looks very smooth and warn. This is something that is not normally seen in a captive raised animal.

On the Flagyl I use 125mg/kg/wk for at least 3 weeks.

Panecure... 100 mg/kg/wk for at least 3 weeks.

Nay said:
Hey thanks all, I have had Jack for a number of years(8 or more) and Louise for about 6, we added Petey a couple years ago,( a sort of rescue) and now we added a new one, Olivia. I am not really looking to raise them, I know it's not just put them together and volia!!! I just love them and when I saw tort 571 was selling one I said hey, let me look. Bad mistake.
EJ, what makes you say WC? Shes 4.5 lbs.(Seems very 'light' to me'.) I will check a stool, but some of those parasites are hard to spot. I have no problem with prophylacticly doing it. Especially of someone suspects WC. I have both Flagyl and panacur here. Doses always vary, but whats your take, if you don't mind, for what is safe, but effective.
Yes Terry, I am wondering how Louise will react, she took well to Petey. But 3???? I am not spreading it around though..
Na

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Congratulations.
Since Flagyl is so hard on their system, I suggest doing a fecal to make sure she needs it first.
good luck
Patsy

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
How is Flagyl hard on their system?

Not all protozoa show up in a fecal. The worse one, Entameoba, is one of them.

K9KidsLove said:
Hi...Congratulations.
Since Flagyl is so hard on their system, I suggest doing a fecal to make sure she needs it first.
good luck
Patsy

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
We routinely use flagyl on a dog that has diarrhea and regular stuff doesn't work, in fact years ago when I was with a vet who did checks on pet store puppies(YUK!!!) a common practice was to give a flagyl and albon combination to young (6-8 week old) pups. I know nothing of treatment in torts. and you can't compare, apples to pears!!
And yes EJ ,I agree, many things do not show up on regular stool checks, and even sending them to the lab, quite a few are hard to spot.Many eggs have a half life, and they kinda explode when they are not in the right environment. But also I know some things do more harm, as antibiotics in bunnys. What's the worse that can happen with a tort that probably is loaded, and then we stress them to live in our 'not natural' environment? If it's common to treat them prophetically , I am all for it.
thanks Na

samstar

5 Year Member
Just curious, how long does it take for these parasites to kill a tort, the parasites that dont show up? I just did a test on Torty's feces and he had worms, vet gave panacure and hope all goes well.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I don't know or really know the parasite responsible but I've had tortoises linger for months. Upon research I found that Entameoba can embed itself in the tissue and become chronic. This leads to a slow decline of the animal... that's the way I understand it.

Worms are easy but there is still a huge amount of guesswork among vets and keepers.

Why I constantly suggest Flagyl is that it is such a broad spectrum antibiotic in addition to being an antiprotozoal you can't go wrong. Consider how safe it is... that is a bonus.

samstar said:
Just curious, how long does it take for these parasites to kill a tort, the parasites that dont show up? I just did a test on Torty's feces and he had worms, vet gave panacure and hope all goes well.

samstar

5 Year Member
-EJ said:
I don't know or really know the parasite responsible but I've had tortoises linger for months. Upon research I found that Entameoba can embed itself in the tissue and become chronic. This leads to a slow decline of the animal... that's the way I understand it.

Worms are easy but there is still a huge amount of guesswork among vets and keepers.

Why I constantly suggest Flagyl is that it is such a broad spectrum antibiotic in addition to being an antiprotozoal you can't go wrong. Consider how safe it is... that is a bonus.

samstar said:

So what your saying is say every 6 months to give the tort Flagyl?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
No... not at all. I'm suggesting anything new to the collection should be treated prophalacticly. (sp?)

samstar said:
-EJ said:

samstar said:

So what your saying is say every 6 months to give the tort Flagyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.