Biting his own front legs

Ebony+Jareth

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hiya I need some advice :)
I have a 3 year old Russian tortoise (horsefield tortoise) his name is Jareth up until recently he has been a happy and very interactive tortoise always climbing and exploring definitely not scared of anything or anyone extremely sociable, however in the past few months he has began biting and nipping at his front legs only when I am moving him to outside or be bathed and so on, he only does this when I am holding him never on his own,
He has also gained a habit of hissing at me and spinning his body when he sees my hand to be moved wether that be to outside or just simply out of his enclosure.
Im not quite sure what to do to get him back to his lovable self, however I’m more concerned he will hurt himself.
Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hiya I need some advice :)
I have a 3 year old Russian tortoise (horsefield tortoise) his name is Jareth up until recently he has been a happy and very interactive tortoise always climbing and exploring definitely not scared of anything or anyone extremely sociable, however in the past few months he has began biting and nipping at his front legs only when I am moving him to outside or be bathed and so on, he only does this when I am holding him never on his own,
He has also gained a habit of hissing at me and spinning his body when he sees my hand to be moved wether that be to outside or just simply out of his enclosure.
Im not quite sure what to do to get him back to his lovable self, however I’m more concerned he will hurt himself.
Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated :)
I would ignore the behavior and go about your business as usual. He will desensitize in time.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sorry for making light of what may be really troubling to you. Is it possible that he may have mites? You say he only does it when you pick him up? Can we see some pictures of the tortoise and enclosure?