Biting own front leg and making clicking noise

Jenblalock003

Hi! I just separated my two 6 week old sulcatas both to soak and to eat. (Bc of previous thread asking about biting). During the first little guys's soaking, he started doing something really strange. He was biting his own front legs and making a clicking noise. Backing up in strange ways too. Was he just irritated? The water was plenty warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What type of lighting and UV are you using?

What was the water temp? Going by feel is very subjective.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
They don't want it too warm. You must use a thermometer or temp gun. Mine like it 90ish. Which I do know by feel now. It is really barely luke warm.

Jenblalock003

Hi! The water temp stays at about 85. The second sulcata soaked afterwards and just relaxed in it. I'm using 100 watt heating light and UV...the temp stays at 85-97, in which they usually stay by the light. My humidity is usually 75-80. And I use coconut coir and organic soil with a tiny bit if Spanish moss.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The second sulcata soaked afterwards and just relaxed in it

You soaked the first tort and then removed it and plopped the second tort in the same water? First off :)D) I would not soak the torts in the same water---just something that icks me out---and secondly, if the first tort has a hissy and the second one does not---I would revisit the temp and perhaps lower the temp a little for the sensitive one and then see what happens....

Jenblalock003

ascott said:
The second sulcata soaked afterwards and just relaxed in it

You soaked the first tort and then removed it and plopped the second tort in the same water? First off :)D) I would not soak the torts in the same water---just something that icks me out---and secondly, if the first tort has a hissy and the second one does not---I would revisit the temp and perhaps lower the temp a little for the sensitive one and then see what happens....

It was not the same water. I changed it out, clean for the second one. I always clean it even when they poop bc I def wouldn't want to be in water like that so I know they don't either :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh good :p I would however offer up a touch cooler soak (not cold) for the sensitive one and see if that allows him to relax some...

Jenblalock003

ascott said:
Oh good :p I would however offer up a touch cooler soak (not cold) for the sensitive one and see if that allows him to relax some...

Ok perfect thank you! Any advice on humidity? I can't get it higher than 60?

Jenblalock003

Jenblalock003 said:
ascott said:

Ok perfect thank you! Any advice on humidity? I can't get it higher than 60?

Ok so same tort did it again. This morning bath time was fine. Tonight, same tort started biting his own front legs again...I even cooled the water a bit from the advice I received last night. Idk if he's stressed or mad or a tad aggressive? Anyone ever seen this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What KIND of 100 watt "heating light" and what KIND of UV?

Are you using infrared or colored heat bulbs? Are you using the coil type cfl UV bulbs?

Jenblalock003

Tom said:
What KIND of 100 watt "heating light" and what KIND of UV?

Are you using infrared or colored heat bulbs? Are you using the coil type cfl UV bulbs?

Hi Tom. First of all I wanted to say thank you so much for all your help as this is all new to me. Ok so I'm using 100 Watt heat bulb yes coiled as well as UV. I read your threads and I def need to change the UV for a mercury vapor light. Where can I get one? Do I have to order online or can I buy from a store? These are my babies, I do not have children. Also the night time heat lamp is a black light.

Thank you again

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
My lil leopard bites his own front legs all the time. When I see him do this, I assume he thinks his legs are mazuri (color tricks him). Heck, he'll bite just about anything to try it out...lol. Anyhow, do you give yours mazuri?

Jenblalock003

I haven't tried that yet. Mine tort only bites his own legs if he's soaking it's weird. I know he doesn't think the water is food lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know he doesn't think the water is food lol

While this is not the thing that all torts do...it is not all that unusual...I have seen reports of it moreover for torts with bright colors on their legs (redfoot, etc) ......

If the tort is behaving normal, "business as usual", I would not put to much worry into it---unless of course he is having a bad trip and is actually going cannibal on his own leg and biting off pieces....aka; "zombie on bath salts tort" I would let him work through his issues...I mean, animals of all kinds can do really odd things driven totally by emotional issues....lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoyO4L3StoU

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have the coiled light over the tortoise while he's soaking? Even if you don't, get rid of that light right now! He can go without UVB for a little while until you can buy a better bulb. Those lights are BAD FOR TORTOISES!!!

Jenblalock003

ascott said:
I know he doesn't think the water is food lol

While this is not the thing that all torts do...it is not all that unusual...I have seen reports of it moreover for torts with bright colors on their legs (redfoot, etc) ......

If the tort is behaving normal, "business as usual", I would not put to much worry into it---unless of course he is having a bad trip and is actually going cannibal on his own leg and biting off pieces....aka; "zombie on bath salts tort" I would let him work through his issues...I mean, animals of all kinds can do really odd things driven totally by emotional issues....lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoyO4L3StoU

Lol makes sense and def makes me feel better. I think being outside would help a lot, but I'm in Louisuana and the high is 55 degrees right now way too cold for them. So I let them exercise inside. Thanks for all your help!

Yvonne G said:
Do you have the coiled light over the tortoise while he's soaking? Even if you don't, get rid of that light right now! He can go without UVB for a little while until you can buy a better bulb. Those lights are BAD FOR TORTOISES!!!

Yes I need to get rid of that coiled light. Can I but one from the store or do I have to order online?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think being outside would help a lot, but I'm in Louisuana and the high is 55 degrees right now way too cold for them.

Yeah I hear ya....sometimes when caring for a tort--the weather dictates actions...inside time is often necessary when we are not in the prime geographic local for the tort....I would use a good heat bulb and a good bulb that offers up safe UVA/UVB rays while having indoor time....some use an all inclusive Mercury Vapor Bulb and seem to like that....I kinda like the idea of a heat bulb used with a long straight tube uva/uvb bulb...with each overlapping one another partially....but you know your own set up to know which will work best for your particular set up....

I also agree with Yvonnes suggestion :)D) to not utilize the coil type uva/uvb bulb--I know that there are some that believe the bulbs issues have been more or less resolved...however, with the way those bulbs are designed, I don't believe it can ever be an effective design for a smaller indoor enclosure....

Jenblalock003

ascott said:
I think being outside would help a lot, but I'm in Louisuana and the high is 55 degrees right now way too cold for them.

Yeah I hear ya....sometimes when caring for a tort--the weather dictates actions...inside time is often necessary when we are not in the prime geographic local for the tort....I would use a good heat bulb and a good bulb that offers up safe UVA/UVB rays while having indoor time....some use an all inclusive Mercury Vapor Bulb and seem to like that....I kinda like the idea of a heat bulb used with a long straight tube uva/uvb bulb...with each overlapping one another partially....but you know your own set up to know which will work best for your particular set up....

I also agree with Yvonnes suggestion :)D) to not utilize the coil type uva/uvb bulb--I know that there are some that believe the bulbs issues have been more or less resolved...however, with the way those bulbs are designed, I don't believe it can ever be an effective design for a smaller indoor enclosure....

Ty!!!! Where can I get a mercury vapor light? I'm going to get one instead of the coil

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jenblalock003 said:
Ok so I'm using 100 Watt heat bulb yes coiled as well as UV. I read your threads and I def need to change the UV for a mercury vapor light. Where can I get one? Do I have to order online or can I buy from a store? These are my babies, I do not have children. Also the night time heat lamp is a black light.

Those coil bulbs can damage their eyes. Often the colored bulbs make things look funny to them. One of these two bulbs might be your problem.