1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

black ant colony in young tortoise enclosure.

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Stoneman, Jun 26, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Stoneman

Stoneman Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Pacific Northwest, United States
    I found it the other day in my closed chamber enclosure in my shed for babies. There were tons of small black ants. Fortunately none were attacked. The ants had started their colon by there. There were tons of eggs through out the enclosure.

Can I use Seven to kill the bugs without harming torts? I could not find any studies online to go off of.

I have changed the Douglas fir substrate but I do not want this to happen again...
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Seven is not harmful to pets. I use it. I sometimes find nests of black ant eggs under the feeding tile. But black ants aren't harmful to your tortoise, only the red, biting ants. So I scoop up all the eggs and drop them on the ground and step on them, then I put a layer of seven dust under the feeding tile and put it back in place. The manufacturer tells you it's not harmful to pets, but I still don't put it someplace where the tortoise can get to it. They never move the feeding tile, so I'm comfortable putting the dust under the tile.
    Vpawloski and TammyJ like this.
  3. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 10 Year Member!

CA
    Use dichotomous earth food-grade 100% non-toxic.